Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
where are the bucks? >

where are the bucks?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

where are the bucks?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default where are the bucks?

i have set my trail cam up in my 3 favorite spots and i have not had any bucks on cam!! i feel like this time last year i already had several nice racks on film. i havent even seen any bucks out in the fields or along the road. is this heat making them hide or is it still early for them to be moving around???
Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

they are all at my mineral spot

but in seriousness, i think the heat is one of the problems but you have to adapt to them sometimes because they tend to not do what you want them to do
Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I am getting pics but they are in the cool low lying swampy areas. The pics are all different times of the day though. I do have a feeder out so I can only guess they fill up go lay down chew their cud and cool off, get up and do it over again repeatedly throughout the day and night.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I've seen some good bucks out in fields. Otherwise our cameras have shown nothing for good bucks and we know there are 4 studs that made it through the winter so they should be around.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Spike

hopefully, when the weather cools down in late august/early sept they will get in more of a pattern and start moving along their normal routines (aka walking by my stand!!) good luck to you guys...
Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been getting pic's of the same young Spike Buck during the day time and night too,then finally after a few weeks I finally get some nice night/IR pic's of the 6-Point Buck and his friend the 8-Point Buck.It seems like they disapear then they pop in for a while and leave again?This is over my salt and trophy rock lick,guess I need to put the camera out by one of the misc food plots to see what kicking around or down by the worn trail where the fresh water Spring is?I have been getting lots of Doe's with their Fawns and even Turkeys with their little Poulets!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same problem for me. I was getting some pics of some decent bucks in june, but now in July, nothing. I am hoping they come back.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am having the same problem. A few young-uns but nothing very big. I think on this next check, I am going to concentrate more on the entrances and exits to the corn fields, since our corn is about a month ahead of schedule. From what I read, everybody is having the same problem.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 07-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I am glad it isn't just me having this problem. In the past few weeks I have had hardly anything visiting my cameras. I might just have to move all of my cameras as close to water as possible to get anything this time of year. I guess we should all be glad we aren't out trying to hunt them in this weather. When things cool off things should return to normal.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

I get my pics in june then will revisit in aug.when temps are not so hot.
IMO Yes the temp is a factor!
In my experience-
Deer dont want to move around in this heat,nomore then we do.LOL.
Where ever they bed this time of yr.there is food everywhere.& its almost definately near a creek or laurels etc.
Unless the food is something really good they have no reason to travel for it.
And the human scent factor when we set our cameras in our spots.
I learned to always wear knee high rubber boots and spray down with scent free product.
Same as u were hunting.
This heat amplifies humen scent so much & makes it linger & reactivates our scent after we leave the area. sweaty hands touching trees etc.
We all know the best hunting is the 1st time we hunt that spot!
I get my pics and back out.
Not to return till the opener after i find the ones i want to hunt.
Cause last thing we want to do is push them away from our spots and have them avoid our areas before we get to hunt them.
These are just some tips that work for me,
Happy hunting,Good luck...

Last edited by cjgjr; 07-21-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.