Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
moultrie game spy D 40 referbished<---- worth it? >

moultrie game spy D 40 referbished<---- worth it?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

moultrie game spy D 40 referbished<---- worth it?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Spike

Default moultrie game spy D 40 referbished<---- worth it?

i was looking online and found a referbished moultrie d-40 for 70 bucks, i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with these and if this really is a good deal, thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

No its not worth it. You can get a brand new D-40 for that. I just bought a reconditioned I-40 for $68.00 + shipping. Pike
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link to a new D-50 for $77.00 with free shipping. Pike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a little research on the reconditioned cameras on Ebay. I think you can either get lucky and get one that works and have no problems or get one that may have some problems and if it does you may run into problems trying to get them fixed. Ebay would be a good route if you can find an authorized seller that can give you a warranty on them. There are many out there that say it in the listing but I'd be cautious about buying one from just anyone. I have a second, mostly for fun, business on ebay and have learned over the years, the better looking the listing then usually the more reliable. Second, if you can find someone with very good feedback, that is an authorized dealer than specializes in those type products (in this case hunting) then you are in good shape. With trail cams I'd stick with authorized dealers.

Id check Cabelas and BPS, I got a good deal on a couple cams last week. I talked with the rep on the phone for a bit and she says they have some great 1 to 2 day sales this time of year on hunting gear that is never advertised. If you have some time, do some research and check around and you could get luck. Nexttag.com seems to be a great tool, it showed me the cheapest price on the net.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Spike

the cam that i was thinking about buying was on moultrie.com and it comes with a one year warrenty, so i would purchase that one if it came down to me buying a referbished one
Old 06-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunting-addict
the cam that i was thinking about buying was on moultrie.com and it comes with a one year warrenty, so i would purchase that one if it came down to me buying a referbished one
hunting addict, even with the warrenty I wouldnt pay $70.00 for a refurbished D-40, I bought 3 brand new one's last summer at Bass Pro for $69.94 each and I see new D-40 & 50's all the time on ebay and other sites that are being sold by authorized dealers for the same. The reason I wouldnt buy a refurbished D-40 from Moultrie for that price is because of the fact that Moultrie only fixes the issue that caused the owner to send it back to them and nothing else.
So if the LCD. display goes out on one of my D-40's after being out in the elements for 11 months and I send it back, all they do is fix the LCD display on my cam, call it refurbished and sell it on their website, so your buying a 1 year old cam with a new LCD. display with a 1 year warrenty for the same price that you can buy a brand new D-40 with a 1 year warrenty. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 06-29-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say I agree with J Pike. Plus, the preseason hunting sales are almost upon us as well. Most big Box stores are going to be having there preseason sales here pretty quick. I picked up a cheap camera last year at Bass Pro for half price around August and I know there were some nicer ones with some great deals on them. If your patient and do your homework I think it will pay off with a good price on a new camera.