Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

how often

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Spike

Default how often

how often do yall change the cards in your cameras? i usually check mine every week on the same day. do yall think that is to often? i would like to check mine every 2 weeks but curiosity usually gets the best of me. im worried that going every week is too much and will cause the deer to go around the area. the area i have it now is right at one of my treestands and i dont want to deer to start avoiding the area. thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

VaWhitetailHunter: I have cameras set up in two different areas. One area, some are used for security purposes as well as normal use. These are usually checked every three or four days. The other area, I check the cameras every week to ten days. I have had deer or bear come in, sometimes as early as an hour after checking the cameras. I find the scent disperses pretty quick. Rain or dew helps this as well. Each time I swap out my cards and also do a battery check using a digital multimeter. If I find the batteries are close to full charge, I leave them, if not they are replaced. I like the 2009 Bushnell Trophy Camera. In them I use the 8 rechargeable batteries. I only have to remove one top or bottom at random to check. The camera does not have to be reset. I have 2 Spy Point IRB. These use 6 "C" batteries. They have a built in memory (watch battery?) where removing and replacing the "C" batteries, they do not have to be reset. Wild View Ez Cam use 4 "C" batteries. Removing the batteries and replacing them, the camera has to be reset. All these cameras have a battery strength indicator as well. I am now using the Pure Energy rechargeables which most Wal mart stores carry. They also carry the charger. Batteries are 1.5 volt with a recharge boosting to 1.56 to 1.65 volt, not the common 1.2 to 1.25 volt. All cameras are set for 30 second video with 10 second delay with the exception of Wild View Ez Cam. This version takes pictures only. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have been checking mine once every three weeks. I try to let them go about a month however the curiousity kills me also.

During hunting season I will check them every few days in order to get a better feel on whats on the property.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I am the same way, once a week always the same day.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year I have been checking every two weeks on the nose. I have noticed many times that deer show up within hours of me being there. I just swap cards so my intrusion is minimal. I know what you mean about it being hard to wait though, many times I want to go the next day and check them. It's just like a kid at Christmas time.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only check my cams every 4-6 weeks on avg. Pike
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also check my trail camera's every week or so...if I happen to be out working or planting I may check them earlier since I'm out there any ways disturbing the wildlife!I have walked up on Turkeys and even had a Deer walking down the trail towards my salt/mineral lick.....they show up an hour or so later to see if I put down any grain or refreshed the minerals so I don't think it bothers them much?When it gets closer to Hunting Season I don't go out as often and I try to keep more scent-free then also.

When it gets closer to October I will move my camera's over misc scrapes to get more Buck pictures and try to see when they are moving and what other Deer come in to check the scrapes.