Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
The beginning of the homebrew build >

The beginning of the homebrew build

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

The beginning of the homebrew build

Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The beginning of the homebrew build

Well guys, after nearly a year, I finally worked up the courage to begin my first homebrew build. I am not finished but I will chronicle what I have done so far.

These are the main ingredients. A Sony S600 camera, control board, battery compartment, and a plano 1425 case.

Inside the case is a yellow bladder that has to be mostly cut away.

After you remove the yellow bladder, you drill the holes for the camera lense, camera flash, sensor, and the pipe-through that is used to secure camera to a tree.

This is a picture of the pipe-through.

Then you paint the inside of the case with a flat paint to prevent the flash from reflecting back into the camera.

You then attach the lenses to the outside of the case using goop. There should be another lense called a fresnel on the bottom hle for the sensor but I had to order another one so I haven't attached it yet.

This is what the inside of the camera will look like after everything is installed. I have not actually wired everything together yet. Note that I have reinstalled part of the yellow bladder. This serves as the gasket to keep the weather out.

The last pic is a comparison for size. I will camo the outside with liquid nails and paint but I can't do that until I install the other lense, which I had to re-order.

There you have it. I still have a ways to go but I wanted to show you all where it's at so far.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good will watch fer some of yer pic's
Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is awesome Jim! How much do you have into it? Where did you get allthe parts for it. Cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is impressive!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Spike

Wish I had the courage to try one.....
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

It sure looks like a great start on it!! I hope it all works well for you when you get it all done.. It will be nice to see some pics from it once it is finished..
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

very nice, be sure to post the finished product
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking good Jim. Looks like you are going to use a stereo jack. Is it going to clear the pipe? Are you going to have room for external batteries for the s600?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
That is awesome Jim! How much do you have into it? Where did you get allthe parts for it. Cant wait to see the finished product.
I have about $150.00 in this build. How much you have in one depends on how much the camera costs. That is the greatest expense. The cameras you use are mostly discontinued models that you get off ebay, so that makes that part really variable. The components for the build come from yeticam.com or a place called snapshotsniper.com

Originally Posted by janesburg
Looking good Jim. Looks like you are going to use a stereo jack. Is it going to clear the pipe? Are you going to have room for external batteries for the s600?
I am going to use a stereo jack and it's going to be very close. After I got the pipe through I noticed that the camera needed to be raised about a 1/4 inch to line up with holes, so that should about do it. As far as an external battery, I don't know how to tie that in with everything yet.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Spike

Dang that looks good. i wish i knew how to do that. haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.