HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   What Trail Cameras use SD cards? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/318602-what-trail-cameras-use-sd-cards.html)

halfbrasshunter 03-01-2010 06:37 PM

What Trail Cameras use SD cards?

Folks,

Been thinking about getting a couple trail cameras mainly for wildlife management on the farm. I am mapping my place right now with a GPS - marking all the property boundaries, tree stands, rubs, water, feeders, etc. and want to have trail cameras that work with my GPS.

I am looking for trail cameras that can do both photos and video and use SD cards. My plan is to use microSD cards with an SD adapter so I can pop the microSD in my GPS and view the pictures and videos right away. I guess I suck at dealing with suspense!

Let me know what trail cameras can do this and which you think are the better ones.

PastorJim08 03-02-2010 02:08 AM

As far as I know, with the exception of the older Cuddes and the Reconyx, they all pretty much use the sd card. If you have no experience with trailcams, you can go to a website, www.chasingame.com and read reviews on nearly every camera made. www.trailcampro.com is also a good place for reviews on most current cams. It is also a great place to purchase cameras. IMHO, you need to spend around $200.00 to get a good quality unit. Cameras in that group, and all these use the sd card, include the Moultrie I-40, Cuddeback Capture, Bushnell Trophycam, Scoutguard, and some of the Spypoint cameras. Sometimes, you can pick up a good deal on a used camera over on Archerytalk. Hope this helps.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

gunther89 03-02-2010 05:29 AM

I would go with the bushnell trophy cam. It works with the SD card. I got mine for $190 and it takes great pictures and video as well. The battery life is said to last a year and trigger speed is just about the same as the cuddeback. The only draw back that I can think of it's IR so night pictures are black and white. If you don't mind that I would pick one up.

halfbrasshunter 03-02-2010 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by PastorJim08 (Post 3586834)
As far as I know, with the exception of the older Cuddes and the Reconyx, they all pretty much use the sd card. If you have no experience with trailcams, you can go to a website, www.chasingame.com and read reviews on nearly every camera made.
... IMHO, you need to spend around $200.00 to get a good quality unit.

Thanks! I just looked at this link. Never knew it existed before but it has all of the info I have been looking for. I had the thought over night that I probably should check and see how big of a SD card the cameras can handle. My GPS can handle up to 32GB but I am guessing most cameras only handle up to 2GB cards. I have a 4GB microSD for my GPS that I bought from Best Buy for $14 but it may not work with an SD adapter in a camera that is only designed for 2GB.

I did double check the Lowrance website to see if they had any recommendation for trail cameras to use with my Endura Safari. All I saw was general mention that it could support any trail camera that used an SD card and took pictures or video. Most of what I learned came from their Hunting with Endura video http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/V...a-GPS-Hunting/. They have a Hunting PDF that talks a little more about trail camera support but not much.

PastorJim08 03-02-2010 08:10 AM

You are correct in assuming most cameras can only take up to a 2g sd card. The new Bushnell Trophycam that is coming out very soon can handle a 16g sd card. I think most of the camera makers are increasing the size cards their units will handle. Unfortunately, this is happening on next years models which haven't come out yet.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

SIDEWAYS 03-02-2010 10:33 AM

You can use up to a 4gb SD card in the Moultrie I40

halfbrasshunter 03-02-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SIDEWAYS (Post 3587089)
You can use up to a 4gb SD card in the Moultrie I40

Thanks. I have liked the Moultrie's I have looked at in the stores. I think this particular model is a camera only. I am holding out for one that also shoots video since many of those are becoming affordable.

GTOHunter 03-04-2010 05:25 PM

I have a Moultrie I-60 Trail Camera and it will take up to a 4GB SD card in it,it takes color day-time pic's and black & white night IR pictures and You can set it on Video for 5,15 or 30 second video's.

The newer Moultrie Trail Camera's (Game Spy I-45,Game Spy I-65) can be used as a regular trail camera or if You hook them up to the new GPS Game Spy Connect it will send the pictures to the Moultrie Game Management Web Site where You can view your pictures there and manage them from your computer and/or it will send pictures via your cell phone...there is a monthly fee with variable prices for several different plans that they offer.You can also change the settings from your computer,check battery life and You can plot and view location of game activity with GPS coordinates tagged to your photo's.

www.moultriefeeders.com