HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Favorite picture of the year (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/318214-favorite-picture-year.html)

DeBauche11 02-25-2010 06:29 PM

Favorite picture of the year

1 Attachment(s)
He's not the biggest buck, but i think its a pretty cool picture of my first ever food plot and the red barn in the back ground. I hope he made it through, hes going to be a pretty decent buck next year

Hunt4Life23 02-25-2010 06:32 PM

nice picture! what did you have planted there?

DeBauche11 02-25-2010 06:35 PM

It is a combination of rape and purple turnips. The majority is turnips. It actually came up real well, with the majority of the turnips growing at least softball size. I was pretty happy with the turn out of it though considering all i had was a small plow and it was my first time planting a food plot

Hunt4Life23 02-25-2010 07:42 PM

yeah it looks like it came in nicely. did the deer hit it hard?

DeBauche11 02-25-2010 08:03 PM

I could tell they were eating it here and there but ive heard that if the deer arent use to it they wont hit it hard until they get a taste for it and then it gets pounded esp late season but i didnt see much of that this year. Could have been due to the amount of snow we got up here and a few layers of ice from a rain storm or two. But i plan on experimenting with a variety of stuff next year and see what happens.

PastorJim08 02-26-2010 01:29 AM

Nice pics. thanks for sharing.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

GTOHunter 02-26-2010 08:01 PM

Very nice looking Food Plot and Buck picture with the Fall colors and the Red Barn you couldn't ask for a more beautiful setting! ;)

If you get overwhelmed with too many turnips cut back a little on them and add some brassicas to the mixture,it will make the large leafs and not the big underground bulbs like a turnip.Those types of Food Plots will get hit even harder after some good frost,they say the leafs will turn to more sugar and the Deer will eat them more readily!We did a 1 1/2 Acre Food Plot with a mixture of Winter Wheat,Brassicas,Rape,Turnip,Sugar Beets and some clover....the Deer tore it up and I couldn't find a turnip bulb left in the whole plot after December!

Siman08/OH 02-27-2010 05:54 PM

Thats a great picture!

DeBauche11 03-01-2010 04:39 PM

Thanks for the comments and tips everyone. I will def have to try some of those other types of seeds this next year that you used GTOhunter

2robinhood 03-02-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by DeBauche11 (Post 3584279)
It is a combination of rape and purple turnips. The majority is turnips. It actually came up real well, with the majority of the turnips growing at least softball size. I was pretty happy with the turn out of it though considering all i had was a small plow and it was my first time planting a food plot

A guy I hunt with did the same food plot ( rape and purple turnips ).
75 % were soft ball size and 25% were basketball size.
I laughed everytime I looked at them.
I couldn't believe the size of them.
We laid a couple on the sidewalk of a produce store for laughs.