Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Best camera at Good Price >

Best camera at Good Price

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Best camera at Good Price

Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
My Moultrie I-60 InfraRed Camera has a fast trigger speed and it can take from 1 to 3 pictures in a row and it also has a video setting for 5-15 or 30 second video's and it has a built-in viewer for looking at pictures out in the field.I got mine on sale for $200.00 plus I had a $20.00 Off coupon from BassProShop!I highly reccomend this camera for all it great features and nice pictures!You can also check Wal-Mart on line for a good price on this camera too!
Whats the recovery time like on that camera...my cameras will be placed mostly on paths, so I am going to need something with good recovery time!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has a 1 minute delay between pictures,it can take from 1,2 or 3 pictures each time an animal is detected and it has several image qualities to choose from like low,medium,high and enhanced.On Video it has High-Res Video or Low-Res Video and it can use up to a 4GB SD for more picture and video storage.The camera uses 6 Alkaline D-Cell batteries.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Chasinwhitetails01
The Cuddeback Capture, what is the trigger speed like on those!? I really know absolutely nothing about cameras. The conditions in my area are normally mild. Not cold, just having an off year and had right much snow this year. But how does it hold up to the conditions and whats the battery life like??
From the questions that you have posted it seems to me that you still need to do some more homework into the the cams that you're really looking for.

You cant totally rely on what everything that is said here because there are fanboys of particular cams. And the 1's that they recommend may not work for your particular application. If you would like me to elaborate on this please say so.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has been already stated here, research is the key to finding exactly what works best for your particular situation. Several years ago when I was making the switch from 35mm cameras to digitals, I'm ashamed to tell you how much time I put into research but I just thought if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I wanted to get it right. Here are some questions I asked myself before I made my first purchase.

A. Camera speed. This can be a misleading factor because while some cameras are faster than others, their detection zone may not be very wide. In other words, no matter how fast a camera's speed, it can't take a picture of what it can't see. Here is a link that compares camera speeds. By the way, slow trigger speeds can be overcome with just a few simple tricks.
http://www.trailcampro.com/2009trigg...dshowdown.aspx

B. Detection zone. As stated before, a camera, no matter how fast, can't take a picture of what it doesn't detect. Here's a couple of links that discusses this and other subjects.
http://www.trailcampro.com/detectionzonetest.aspx
http://www.trailcampro.com/2009trailcamerashootout.aspx

C. Picture Quality. Most guys when they start out say; I don't care about picture quality, I just want to see what's out there. While this may be true when you first start out, it could, as it did for me, change into wanting to get better and better pictures and videos. You can see the different examples from the various cameras posted in this section of the forums.

D. Price. IMHO you have to spend in the neighborhood of $200.00 to get a good quality camera. There are many that fall into this price-range.

E. White-flash or IR. In the beginning, I based my decision on a camera being IR. Since that time I have come to realize that it really didn't make any difference. The deer stand and stare at my IR cams just as much as the white-flash cameras. Alot here may depend on whether you want color night-time pictures.

F. Still pics or videos. Most cameras do either but there are a few exceptions.

G. Trigger delay. How long does it take the camera to reset and take another picture after it has triggered. To me this is very important. If a doe walks through and the camera triggers and it's delay is lenghty, you may miss the buck that is following her.

H. Battery life. I remember the days when if I got two weeks out of a set of batteries on my old Camtrakker 35mm, I thought it was really great. Now some of the cameras will go up to a year on a set of batteries. Most of the IR cams will do at least several months on one set of batteries.
Here are two sites where you can do alot of research; www.chasingame.com and www.trailcampro.com Which ever camera you decide on, good luck and we will all be looking forward to your pics.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Last edited by PastorJim08; 02-06-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Cuddeback Capture or Capture IR. Best bang for your buck!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought my third Bushnell Trophy Cam.
Great trigger speed, great pictures in day and night.
I am using Duracell rechargeables and Sandisk cards.
2 months out, 2000+ pictures, single digits temps and still going strong.
I haven't had any mistriggers, all pictures have had animals in them.
I bought mine from Camlockbox.com
Camera, lock box, and python cable lock, free shipping ( $235.00 ).
They regularly go on e-bay for $160.00+ or - for the camera only.
I post some mor pictures in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails Best camera at Good Price-trailcam-grandmoms-238.jpg   Best camera at Good Price-trailcam-grandmoms-076.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Bushnell Trophy cam.

These five pictures are the camera set up on a run ( no bait ).
This was trying to figure what direction the deer were coming from.
You can see how fast the trigger and next shots happen.
I have it set in a three pictures burst.
First three was walking in, last two walking out.
Only can post five at a time on here, so only posting two pictures of walking out.
Attached Thumbnails Best camera at Good Price-grandmoms-cam-2-004.jpg   Best camera at Good Price-grandmoms-cam-2-005.jpg   Best camera at Good Price-grandmoms-cam-2-006.jpg   Best camera at Good Price-grandmoms-cam-2-007.jpg   Best camera at Good Price-grandmoms-cam-2-008.jpg  

Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
As has been already stated here, research is the key to finding exactly what works best for your particular situation. Several years ago when I was making the switch from 35mm cameras to digitals, I'm ashamed to tell you how much time I put into research but I just thought if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I wanted to get it right. Here are some questions I asked myself before I made my first purchase.

A. Camera speed. This can be a misleading factor because while some cameras are faster than others, their detection zone may not be very wide. In other words, no matter how fast a camera's speed, it can't take a picture of what it can't see. Here is a link that compares camera speeds. By the way, slow trigger speeds can be overcome with just a few simple tricks.
http://www.trailcampro.com/2009trigg...dshowdown.aspx

B. Detection zone. As stated before, a camera, no matter how fast, can't take a picture of what it doesn't detect. Here's a couple of links that discusses this and other subjects.
http://www.trailcampro.com/detectionzonetest.aspx
http://www.trailcampro.com/2009trailcamerashootout.aspx

C. Picture Quality. Most guys when they start out say; I don't care about picture quality, I just want to see what's out there. While this may be true when you first start out, it could, as it did for me, change into wanting to get better and better pictures and videos. You can see the different examples from the various cameras posted in this section of the forums.

D. Price. IMHO you have to spend in the neighborhood of $200.00 to get a good quality camera. There are many that fall into this price-range.

E. White-flash or IR. In the beginning, I based my decision on a camera being IR. Since that time I have come to realize that it really didn't make any difference. The deer stand and stare at my IR cams just as much as the white-flash cameras. Alot here may depend on whether you want color night-time pictures.

F. Still pics or videos. Most cameras do either but there are a few exceptions.

G. Trigger delay. How long does it take the camera to reset and take another picture after it has triggered. To me this is very important. If a doe walks through and the camera triggers and it's delay is lenghty, you may miss the buck that is following her.

H. Battery life. I remember the days when if I got two weeks out of a set of batteries on my old Camtrakker 35mm, I thought it was really great. Now some of the cameras will go up to a year on a set of batteries. Most of the IR cams will do at least several months on one set of batteries.
Here are two sites where you can do alot of research; www.chasingame.com and www.trailcampro.com Which ever camera you decide on, good luck and we will all be looking forward to your pics.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Great info Jim ~ thanks!!!
SO - What camera would YOU choose NOW for $200?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
Great info Jim ~ thanks!!!
SO - What camera would YOU choose NOW for $200?
Ed, kinda been missing you here, glad to see you're still among the living. Actually in the $200.00 range, I would have to say the Bushnell Trophycam is looking pretty good right now. Especially if all the things they promise for 2010 works out.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think for $200 and under, the only 2 I would concider would be the Cuddeback Capture (not the IR model). Or the Bushnell trophy cam. I have the capture, and I love it, and would love to have another one. I like the Bushnell, but I have never been a fan of the black and white night pictures. A buddy of mine bought a Trophy cam odd of TrailcamPro, and could not geet it to take a picture at all. It would take great videos, but just would not take a pic. He called them up, and they told him to send it back, and they would send him a new one.