Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
looking for first trail camera >

looking for first trail camera

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

looking for first trail camera

Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default looking for first trail camera

I've been hunting since I was around 8. I'm now 26 and I'm looking to buy my first trail camera. I don't know what to look for or much about them. I'm wanting to stay around $200ish or less. I looked at the Bushnell Trophy Cam but I don't know if its any good or not. Can ya'll point me in the right direction and suggest some good cameras?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several good cameras in that price range. The next thing you want to ask yourself is the application you will be using it. If you are using it for a feeder or foodplot, almost any camera will do. But if you are using it mainly on trails then you have to have something with a fast shutter speed. These are the cameras in that price range that I would recommend.

a. Cuddeback capture (not the IR version) Very fast trigger and crisp clear pictures but a delay of thirty seconds between triggers. No video
b. Scoutguard or Bushnell Trophycam (these are basicly the same camera) Good trigger speed and capable of multishots plus video.
c. Moultrie I-40 very dependable, battery life of 4-5 months and great daytime pics. Slower trigger speeds, works great on foodplots. Has video.

IMO these are the best cameras in this price category. Hope to see some pics from you real soon but be careful, this is a very addictive hobby.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another vote for the Cuddeback Capture. Very fast trigger speed, very crisp and clear pictures. The only thing I dont like about it, is the 30 seconds between pictures, and no video mode.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have not already done so, check out TrailcamPro.com.
And Chasingame.com.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
There are several good cameras in that price range. The next thing you want to ask yourself is the application you will be using it. If you are using it for a feeder or foodplot, almost any camera will do. But if you are using it mainly on trails then you have to have something with a fast shutter speed. These are the cameras in that price range that I would recommend.

a. Cuddeback capture (not the IR version) Very fast trigger and crisp clear pictures but a delay of thirty seconds between triggers. No video
b. Scoutguard or Bushnell Trophycam (these are basicly the same camera) Good trigger speed and capable of multishots plus video.
c. Moultrie I-40 very dependable, battery life of 4-5 months and great daytime pics. Slower trigger speeds, works great on foodplots. Has video.

IMO these are the best cameras in this price category. Hope to see some pics from you real soon but be careful, this is a very addictive hobby.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Excellent advice!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Spike

I will be using it for feeding areas I guess you could say. I'm looking for a place in the woods to put up a stand this coming up year. I've got a field stand already. I've read recently that I should start scouting now and always and set out minerals in early spring or even now. I've looked at the two sites listed and they are great sites. I'm debating between the Cuddeback Capture and the Bushnell Trophy Cam.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I second the I-40. And the trigger speed is a little slow....good for a feeder or scrap. I love the battery life.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cuddeback Capture is my favorite camera....

I havnt an i40 thats performed well so far as well..

Thats all the input i can give you. Dont get a Stealth.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

David33. I bought my first trail camera in 2009 and purchased the Bushnell Trophy Cam. If I had to do it again, I'd do it over and I might even purchase a second one. I'm finding the pictures are great and very easy on the batteries.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Another IR cam with a good track record would be the SpyPoint IR-A. Its a workhorse and one of the best daytime color pics in that price range. 6MP, good battery life.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.