Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

How Many

Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How Many

How many trail cams do you have, and how big is your hunting spot? Just wondering how many cams would be good for my hunting spot, My spot is only about 15 acres, and I have 2 right now. Well, 3 if you count my old Stealth 35mm.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

I have 10 cams. 8 cuddeback captures and 2 scoutguards, and a rolodex of SD cards. On any given year i hunt 1000 to 3000 acres depending on crop rotation and flooding conditions.

This year i gained permission for a 15-20 acre spot behind a farmstead. In late june i set up 4 captures (or 3 captures and a scoutguard, id have to look to make sure) in the area, and up until i took them down in the 1st week of nov. i was getting pics of different bucks. I did get alot of repeat pics of the same bucks of every so often there would be a newbie in there. If you would like i could post some pics of this area.

Last edited by leadoperator; 01-05-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

1000 - 3000 acres!!! I cant even imagine hunting that much land. That would be awesome, if you would post some pics of your new spot. I LOVE looking at pictures that everyone posts.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by leadoperator
I have 10 cams. 8 cuddeback captures and 2 scoutguards, and a rolodex of SD cards. On any given year i hunt 1000 to 3000 acres depending on crop rotation and flooding conditions.

This year i gained permission for a 15-20 acre spot behind a farmstead. In late june i set up 4 captures (or 3 captures and a scoutguard, id have to look to make sure) in the area, and up until i took them down in the 1st week of nov. i was getting pics of different bucks. I did get alot of repeat pics of the same bucks of every so often there would be a newbie in there. If you would like i could post some pics of this area.
Quick question for you. you say that you left them 4 cameras out from June, to November, did you check them at all in that time frame? Or did you stay out of there that whole time? I have a really hard time staying away for 2 weeks, let alone 2 months.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
1000 - 3000 acres!!! I cant even imagine hunting that much land. That would be awesome, if you would post some pics of your new spot. I LOVE looking at pictures that everyone posts.
Mostly croplands boardered by cattail sloughs and river bottoms.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
Quick question for you. you say that you left them 4 cameras out from June, to November, did you check them at all in that time frame? Or did you stay out of there that whole time? I have a really hard time staying away for 2 weeks, let alone 2 months.

Checked them every week or 2 depending on my schedule. this year was a learning year for me in that area and i needed to find out how and where and at what time they were moving past my selected stand locations. Another big plus was that the deer were used to the farmer because he kept his combine, headers, haymovers, and tractors back there. Its basically a 15-20 acre spot with trees on 3 sides and a gravel road on the 4th side, the whole thing is surrounded by standing corn.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a 150 acre parcel, which is all woods, and I have seven cameras. That amount is probably just barely enough to do the job on that big of an area. I really think it should be about ten cameras per 100 acres, depending on the lay of the land and what borders it.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Imo you never have enough cameras. It seems like every year i find myself in a situation where i need "just one more". I buy another one and two weeks later i find myself in the same predicament again!!!! Trailcams become an addiction-you never have enough!!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
Imo you never have enough cameras. It seems like every year i find myself in a situation where i need "just one more". I buy another one and two weeks later i find myself in the same predicament again!!!! Trailcams become an addiction-you never have enough!!
That is the gospel right there my friend!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have 5 and I hunt on several different pieces of ground that add up to about 400 acres of timber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.