HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   To anyone who own an IR camera.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/313481-anyone-who-own-ir-camera.html)

supaflav 12-27-2009 01:41 AM

To anyone who own an IR camera....

I bought a Bushnell camera with IR and I have noticed that it REALLY spooks the deer. I read that it wouldn't spook the deer as bad as a flash camera, but man they are freaked oout by the IR lights. Anyone else having this problem?

PastorJim08 12-27-2009 03:19 AM

As far as I know, and I own three IR cameras, it doesn't seem to actually spook them but they do stand and stare at them. I get the same reaction to my white-flash cameras so I'm not really sure there is an advantage either way. Now there is supposed to be something called black flash on some of the newer cameras coming out that is supposed to be completely invisible but I haven't seen or read any feedback on those systems yet. One possibility is they are hearing the sound of the IR filter. Some of my IR cameras make a slight sound when taking a picture. But then again, they also stand and stare at the IR camera that makes no sound when it's taking a pic. I'm sure that you're as confused about this as I am now.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

pnut 12-27-2009 02:11 PM

Pastor is right, it might be the click of the IR scaring them.
I've read about this over at chasingame.com
My Scoutguard glows red and the deer have never cared about it.
I have many 1min videos in IR that the deer just stood there and gazed at the camera while eating.

Warkie 12-28-2009 03:26 AM

I might have to go with the theory that it's the click that is scaring them off but that's just a guess. I've had no such problems myself with the trophy cam ir pictures/videos.

4patches 12-28-2009 01:46 PM

I have a stealth cam sniper IR and the IR is silent and glows, yea if it catches their eye they stare at it but scare? no i havent seen that yet.

GTOHunter 12-28-2009 03:39 PM

My Moultrie I-60 camera makes a light shutter "click" I guess to block off something during the day or night for the IR maybe...I could tell that the Deer noticed/heard that in a few pictures but after a while it didn't bother them any more?Any ways the Deer are not nearly as scared of the IR camera like they were of my older flash camera,it may take them a little getting use to an IR flash but I have a lot more night pictures of Doe's and Bucks than I did with my old flash camera's.Some of the new IR camera's state that "No" Red flash is visible at all on their Camera's but I think the flash doesn't reach out as far either?I've also noticed that the IR/LED's flash on my new camera reaches out further than the regular flash camera ever did too!