Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Cuddeback Capture review >

Cuddeback Capture review

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Cuddeback Capture review

Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cuddeback Capture review

This is an initial review on my newly acquired Cuddeback Capture. As I opened the package, I noticed that the case seemed a bit flimsy and there seemed to be a few gaps between the case and the outer door. This could allow moisture to creep in. Maybe not all of their cases are like this but mine was. I really don't think it will be an issue for me as I put all my cams in security boxes anyway but it is something to consider if you are not going to use a security box. The mounting system for this unit is a strap and bracket system much like the strap used for the Moultrie cams. The only advantage it has over the Moultrie is it uses a metal bracket which you attach that probably won't break as easily as the plastic brackets on the Moultrie. Just a word here about bear safes or security boxes. If you are going to purchase this particular camera, I would suggest buying a security box, as it comes with absolutely no means for security at all. The only security box I could find for it fit the unit like a glove, better than any of my camera/security box combos. I looked on Cudde's site and it was there but I didn't see anyway of purchasing directly from them. Cabelas sells the same box for $34.95. I looked on Trailcampro's website and they didn't list a security box for the Cuddeback so I called them. They did have it but had not listed it on their site. Their price was $29.95 so I purchased it from them. Okay, back to the camera itself. Inside the unit, between the door and the housing, lurks a gasket. I'm sure this gasket was intended to seal out the weather but after my experience with it, I am convinced the only purpose for this gasket was to make me lose my religion. It lies in a groove between the door and the housing and once it "escapes" from that groove, it is nearly impossible to get it back where it goes, thus the loss of religion. More on that later. The controls are so simple that even I had it figured out in about two minutes. There is a dial that you turn for entering date/time etc. and that's about it, a very simple operation. Next, I put it out in the back yard to test it's picture taking ability, it worked flawlessly. It's pictures being very crisp and clear. One thing that I am very dissapointed with in this part is the cameras recovery time. It can only take a picture every thirty seconds. There is no burst or multi-shot mode. So if a doe comes through dragging a buck behind her, unless they linger, there is a good chance you will miss him entirely. Now, off to the woods for some real-world testing, or so I thought.
I had been thinking about a spot where I wanted to hang the camera. It is at the intersection of several good trails, all of which empty into a good food source. I was excited about that spot because when I arrived at the location, I found my initial thoughts confirmed as there were many tracks in the snow where the deer had been using this area. This would be my last happy thought though as my difficulties with the camera were just about to begin. I mounted the security box to a tree that overlooked the trails and then went to put the camera inside it but the camera would not power up. A closer inspection revealed that the batteries were not making contact with the little metal clips, thus, no power. My fingers were to big to slip under the clips to try to bend them back into place so after about 40 minutes, thirty of those trying to get the aforementioned gasket back into it's groove, I gave up. I went ahead and went to my stand to finish out the night hunting and to be frustrated. As I sat there, I tried to come up with a reason that those battery contacts were not making contact anymore. Afterall, I had the thing powered up in my yard before I brought it out to the woods. It just didn't make sense to me. Then it occured to me what had happened. When I carried it to the woods, I placed it in the security box and carried it upside down. The weight of the batteries must have pushed the contacts back far enough that they no longer were connected to the batteries. When I got home I had my wife work her considerably smaller fingers behind the contacts and bend them back to their original position, the camera worked fine again. I took some pictures inside the house and everyting seemed right. So I will attempt to put the camera back out into the woods after Christmas so that I can see how it performs in the field. I will keep you all updated. Below are my likes/dislikes about this unit so far.

I liked:
a. The simple programming
b. The crisp clear pictures
c. The way the camera fit into it's security box
d. The instant trigger

I didn't like:
a. That darn gasket
b. The thirty second recovery time (this is a biggie)
c. The flimsy case
d. The batteries were difficult to remove
e. No built in means for security
f. That darn gasket (I know I already mention that but I really didn't like it)

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

PJ, i havnt had any issues with my gasket yet. Do you think that since you got the camera for so cheap it was a reject or knockoff model? i always wonder about great deals like that because they seem to be the ones that have the problems. What kind of package did it come in? My batteries are really hard to remove to but my contacts have never moved. The recovery time does suck.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the review PJ! I am planning on picking one of these up right after Christmas. Hopefully I have better luck with mine. The 30 second recovery time is a big deal to me too, but as long as the trigger speed is better then my Moultrie, I shouldnt miss alot of pics. I know I miss a ton of them with the Moultrie.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I haven't experienced any of that with my two Captures.
Neither of my dad's either.
I'm with Simon where it be a knockoff or reject.

The only thing I don't like about it is the 30sec recharge but that's a known spec before you even buy the thing.
Did you take pictures of the thing from package to setup?
I'm curious if the package and cam look the same as mine.
I bought my 08' and 09' Captures from Bee Busy Outdoors for $189 a piece and they are the real deal.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
Thanks for the review PJ! I am planning on picking one of these up right after Christmas. Hopefully I have better luck with mine. The 30 second recovery time is a big deal to me too, but as long as the trigger speed is better then my Moultrie, I shouldnt miss alot of pics. I know I miss a ton of them with the Moultrie.
The trigger speed and photo quality are what makes the Cuddeback Capture an elite $200 market camera. It's #1 in both catagories, and its not even close.

Trigger Speed:

And the photo quality. Soemtimes during the day it will blur if the animal is moving fast (all cameras do because of shutter speed), and sometimes you have to adjust the hue because the flash gets yellowish (very simple with Picasa):

Even does well in the rain/fog:

Daytime:

Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

PastorJim08:
Thanks for sharing the information and review. Just an idea on the gasket problem. Remove it. Now put a drop or two of Crazy Glue or Contact Cement on a tooth pick and spread a thin a mount in the bottom of the gasket groove. Carefully reinstall the gasket and firmly seat it. Do not close the door at this time, until the glue dries. The reason I say not closing the door: if a bit of glue came around the gasket, closing the door would permanently close it. Also very careful not to get glue on your fingers as they will stick instantly. Hope this helps. Have a good holiday Season.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Siman08/OH:
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Have a Happy Holiday.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am glad you posted this review. I have three I40s and get a lot of blank pics because of trigger speed. I am thinking about trying cuddeback.

I dont understand why these companies make their cameras with the 30 sec and up recovery time and some with no multi shot or burst mode. Surely they know that not a lot of people care for it. Same with security features. I dont get it.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 125py
i am glad you posted this review. I have three I40s and get a lot of blank pics because of trigger speed. I am thinking about trying cuddeback.

I dont understand why these companies make their cameras with the 30 sec and up recovery time and some with no multi shot or burst mode. Surely they know that not a lot of people care for it. Same with security features. I dont get it.
Keep in mind that these are low to medium price cams. My Scoutguard has features I like over the Capture but also visa versa. Remember that they are only $200 cams. The higher end cams have all these things and more but I'm happy having a few of each in the $200 range.

I find it funny all the posts on here of people wanting to try out the 2-for $89 packs of wildviews, remingtons or the equivalent but wanting all the percs of the cams that are triple the price for just one cam.
If you're only willing to drop $200 on a cam then you just have to deal with the 30sec recovery because the pics look great.
I love my Scoutguard and it does 3 pic bursts and video but I'm just not a huge fan of IR.

I do know for a fact that the 2 best 1min videos I have are at night of good bucks and a mature deer would not have stayed for 1min with a bright ass flash on it for that long so I take it with a grain of salt.

Here is the best night video from my scoutguard this year.
http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=IM000004.flv

Last edited by pnut; 12-23-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Husband and I own 10 Cuddeback Captures and 2 Cuddeback Excites and these cameras stayout all year long. We have had no issues with these cameas yet, take awesome pictures day and night. Have not had any issues with these cameras. We are very pleased with their performace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.