Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
1st Night out-got pics! >

1st Night out-got pics!

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

1st Night out-got pics!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Spike

Default 1st Night out-got pics!

Well I recently purchased a Remington Ghost trail cam and decided before putting it down in on of "my spots" that I would try it out behind my house at the edge of my yard. For the last few weeks both my mom and my dad have been telling me the have seen a fairly decent sized buck along with the occasional doe crossing from some small pines and hardwoods beside our house into one of our fields and the surrounding wooded area. Well I figured if he's coming through the area that often and we have his corridor pretty much narrowed down then why not slap the camera out there and see if we can have a look. I put the camera up yesterday morning around 10:30am and when I got home last night I decide I would check the card. I walked out on the back porch,turned the porch light on, then shined my flashlight over towards the camera. I couldn't beleive it, he was standing directly in front of my camera! I slowly eased back into the house and turned the light off. I waited for a couple hours then went out to see what I had gotten. I was like a kid waiting to unwrap a present. You'll have to overlook the blurriness in some pics, its due to the heavy rainfall we had received during the day. Overall, I'm vary happy with the results. Camera seems to be eating the battery some but so far couldn't be happier. As for the buck, I hope we can keep him on the farm for another year or two cause he's gona be real nice if we can. I'm putting him to be in the 2.5 age range right now and with a little time should look real nice on the wall!

Notice the first pic with the buck the porch light in the background(my house) and then I turn it off. He must have just gotten there when I first saw him

Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Spike

nice one, i use the ghost, i have several, it is not the best quality but it does its job for a decent price. About the battery life, during the summer you can get about 2000 pics. and it last about 1 month, in the cold it only last about a week, and sometimes with "freeze up" until it warms back up and then starts taking pictures again.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by RUNNOFT
nice one, i use the ghost, i have several, it is not the best quality but it does its job for a decent price. About the battery life, during the summer you can get about 2000 pics. and it last about 1 month, in the cold it only last about a week, and sometimes with "freeze up" until it warms back up and then starts taking pictures again.
Thanks so much for the info about the battery, that makes me feel better! Like you said, I'm very happy with the quality for the price. I wasn't expecting top quality for bottom price. As long as it continues to work, I'll be happy. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

nice buck!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Spike

Default Second night update!

Well I can definately say I'm addicted! Second night out produced even better results and if things keep going this way, I'm going to be one broke puppy putting cameras all over our farm looking for these big boys! Got plenty of doe shots again but then this big boy decided to poke around for a while and boy did he sure put a smile on my face. If this dude can survive for the rest of the season into next season he will be a hoss for sure. HOPEFULLY he will make it. I know with our management program I have set up with my father,brother,and two friends we let hunt our farm that we will hold out on him but hopefully we can keep him in our area and no one from the surrounding property will take him.

Last edited by DryForkSlayer; 12-03-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

i also have a ghost. for me in the cold it last about a month and in the summer, about 2 months. i love the battery life but the pics can be blurred sometimes
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a good buck man, good luck on getting him
Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Woodsmaster742
Thats a good buck man, good luck on getting him
Thanks! I'm hoping to let him grow for another year or so atleast. With his size now, he should be real nice with another year on him. I'm puttin him I beleive around 3.5 years old. Now its just time to hope he doesn't wander around to far from our property where someone else will shoot him. We have a good management program setup between my father,brother, and two friends that are allowed to hunt our farm and land. I'm not worried about them shooting it but, there's always others who can spoil your plans! Here's to hoping he's a survivor... atleast until I can lay the smackdown on him next year!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a dandy. What kind of batteries are you using?
The Lithium's work best in cold weather..
I use regular duracells until it get's cold (40 and below) and then put duracell lithiums until march/april when I pull the cams until they start growing bone again around June/July
Old 12-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by pnut
That's a dandy. What kind of batteries are you using?
The Lithium's work best in cold weather..
I use regular duracells until it get's cold (40 and below) and then put duracell lithiums until march/april when I pull the cams until they start growing bone again around June/July
He sure is! Currently I'm trying out some Energizer rechargeable batteries rated at 2500mah. After some reading though, I'm considering buying some rated at 10,000mah. They say the higher the mah# the longer the battery charge will last. According to that,the ones I'm considering should last approx. 4 times longer. I'm also considering trying a 6v setup if I can figure out how to do it. What do you think of rechargeable batteries? Have you used any?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.