Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
How do we stop thieves?? >

How do we stop thieves??

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

How do we stop thieves??

Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

Angry How do we stop thieves??

I don't know when I'll have more pics as my trail camera was stolen sometime last week. Can't believe the nerve of some people to come on private land and steal things. Found out one of the neighbors lost a trail camera about a week ago as well. People may say it'a my fault for not having enough security on the camera to prevent the theft and to that I say bologna!!! No one should be trespassing on my land in the first place and secondly what ever happened to honesty?? I have a second camera and might try to put that out with heavy security, but don't know if the person will be back or not anyway. any other thoughts?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:33 AM
Spike

Maybe a backup camera watching the first camera. Something mounted high enough to be out of sight.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was it in a security box?
I have both of mine in security boxes and haven't had any problems in the 2yrs I've had them out.
Sounds like you need to find a junker camera and point another camera at it and try to find who's doing this.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is your property posted?

I agree that you shouldn't have to lock it up on your own land.

But obviously what you and I think doesn't matter. I hope you get lucky and catch the idiot, but I'm afraid your probably SOL.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have mine on private ground I have access to--but am still worried about it. it is in a security box lag bolted to a tree, wrapped with a cable lock--and a lock on the box for added measure-although the cable locks the box. When it comes down to it, if they want it they will get it.

I agree on buying wally world special 2-packs and setting them up to try and catch the guy
Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick your cameras higher aiming more downward. Get it out of a persons normal line of sight. Carry in a 3' ladder or something to get you a little higher. If you put a camera facing another camera then just to be safe you better put a camera facing the one thats facing the other one. Sounds like too many cams ending up in 1 spot.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 AM
Spike

Maybe rig the cover with an incinerary device which detonates when opened?
I always say, locks only keep the honest people out. Thieves will be thieves. Same goes with the bastards who steal tree stands. Sportsmanship is becomming a "lost" trait.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with joe, get in cahoots with your neighbors and put some trail cameras together. One way up in a tree camouflaged real well positioned to take pictures of the one on the ground that someone can easily see to steal. Id make sure the one in the tree has a true infared flash or the flash turned off. Make sure that you at least put a cheap cable on the camera so that they have to work at getting it off the tree a little bit, that way it allows you too get some more pics of them. Good luck and nail em
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

It's hard enough to afford one decent camera, let alone a couple so to put a second camera watching the first isn't really a good option. I have discovered that someone about 3 miles from camera had one taken just this past week as well also got a picture of the persons back. I'm talking to the neighbors to warn them and also see if they have any pictures of strangers coming through the woods. Lunkerdog asked about the property being posted...it is, but in Wisconsin you don't need to post your land. It is up to the individual to know where they are (not always easy). Even if it wasn't posted, wouldn't honesty rule out and you would leave someones stuff alone. I will be locking things up tighter than I ever have before at the scrifice of losing mobility. I loved moving my camera around the property so that I could catch different deer...no bait for me except for a mock scrape. This was the first time that I left one of my cameras in the same spot for more than a week.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

God my posts look awful when I don't proof them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.