Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Cold Weather Camera >

Cold Weather Camera

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Cold Weather Camera

Old 09-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Spike

Default Cold Weather Camera

currently i have a moultrie d40 and i am happy with it except for 1 thing, no pics when its 32 degrees or less. so with that being said, before i go out and purchase another camera... i would appreciate any feedback on cameras that work under 32 degrees. i have been looking around but none of the cameras advertise on the box or in cataloges if they work in the cold. i know the moultrie says it in the instructions and i don't want to spend money and find out the next one is the same.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

i have 3 of the d40's and they all work fine in the cold except it really kills the batteries.not often that it gets very far below 20 degrees
where i'm at though.i get road killed deer to bait coyotes in winter and get great pics. i'd say you just have a problem with that cam.
you'll prolly get the answer you need from one of the guys with the higher end cams.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will cost ya a lot more than that cheap lil' Moultrie did..... but with the Lithium batts, a Reconyx will take pix to -40! Last season ours remained perfectly functional in temps down to single digits before the season ended and I pulled 'em all.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This pic is from my Moultrie I-40. Check out the temp in the lower left hand of the pic. And, if I'm not mistaken, I still have the same batteries in that camera right now. It's been out all summer since the last of April.

Blessings......Pastorjim

Old 09-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Spike

i don't think i have a dud because i recall reading in the instructions (which i can not find at the moment) that the camera does not work below 32 degrees.
any recommendations for not so overpriced cameras?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Spike

I have a wildview it doesn't take the best of pics but I put it out last year at newyears and got 80 some pictures over a month. 4 c batteries in it. It is isn't an expensive camera either. I think I paid 60 dollars for it on sale.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have a cuddeback capture flash and had it out in -5 weather last winter and the batteries lasted for roughly 2 months. The camera triggered the deer just like it does now in the summer and works great in the cold weather.