Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

true spike

Old 09-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

that deer is yearling..
Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are dying to shoot a spike, do it, but don't try to justify by saying that skinny ass little 1.5 year old deer is destined to be a spike forever.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by YooperMike
If you are dying to shoot a spike, do it, but don't try to justify by saying that skinny ass little 1.5 year old deer is destined to be a spike forever.
First of all Ill kill whatever i want on my property for any reason I want, Im not dying to shoot a spike, but you cant put antlers in the freezer. Theres alot bigger bucks that I can shoot and I will but Im far from being a horn hunter, the freezer fills first, then its time to have fun!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Spike

Also i've always heard that if the bell is flat its an older deer, this deers belly isnt level with its chest so i say its just a 1.5 year old
Old 09-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Typical Buck

your true spike analysis is false. let him grow up.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Spike

If you think a yearling that is a spike will always be a spike go to this http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=23
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Spike

I agree with the rest that deer is not older than a year old. If that buck turns out like this one in the next year or two then shoot him. But i'm not a believer in the "once a spike always a spike" theory. I also have a picture of an example of a deer that needs to be shot. But I never layed eyes on him during the season last year.
Attached Thumbnails true spike-picture.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gamewarden1
I agree with the rest that deer is not older than a year old. If that buck turns out like this one in the next year or two then shoot him. But i'm not a believer in the "once a spike always a spike" theory. I also have a picture of an example of a deer that needs to be shot. But I never layed eyes on him during the season last year.
I never once said anything along the words of "once a spike always a spike". I have seen many many many deer be a spike then be a bigger deer the next year. I am saying "THIS DEER" was a spike last year, there is a slice across his back where my broadhead hit him cause it was late season and I was putting meat in the freezer. This is the same deer that was a spike last year. The shot that put the scar on his back was taken no more than 50 yards away.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a 1.5 year old deer and could be a 140" in 4 years.

Fact.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Spike

Not only can you see the scar you can see it's ribcage lol. Thats a young deer. Not saying a deer cant stay a spike, but that one won't based off of this picture alone. I've killed three spikes all with close to 10in spikes with gray muzzles. That deer doesn't have either. Plus it's body compared to the legs are out of proportion, if it was an older deer