HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   flash scare deer??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/294780-flash-scare-deer.html)

bucksniper14 05-26-2009 04:39 PM

flash scare deer???

ive always been wondering.i wanted to get another camera but dont want to spend as much as a infared cost. plus I miss color night pic. but whats your opinion. any suggestions on what model to get. thanks

PastorJim08 05-26-2009 04:49 PM

RE: flash scare deer???

You know, I was kinda concerned with that subject for a while so I bought a couple of IR cams. But you know what, The deer seem to stand and stare at it just like they did the white flash. Honestly, I think it might effect some deer but for the most part, not much. That's just my two cents though.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Siman08/OH 05-26-2009 05:03 PM

Some spook, some dont. It varies. It doesnt matter either way. I prefer color photos.

patchholder 05-26-2009 05:05 PM

Yap I will second that too they stare at all my cameras flash or ir does'nt matter.they don't even want to be around them anymore.

leadoperator 05-26-2009 05:13 PM

My 1st 4 cams were IR cams because i was worried about that as well. My next 2 were flash cams. It dont make any difference. My next cam will be a flash cam as well, i really like the color pics.

pnut 05-26-2009 06:20 PM

The deer in my neck of the woods seem to be just as spooked with with red IR glow as the flash at first but after a few days they could care a less about it.

AR Bowhunter 05-26-2009 06:27 PM

Depends on what frame of mind they are in at the time.

Edcyclopedia 05-27-2009 03:57 AM

If there was a camera in your house and it flashed or made noise when taking a picture, would you be alarmed?
I know I'm not a deer, but if you keep "survival" in the back of your mind, it might help make certain decision's while hunting this prey!

Some deer may tolerate it, however if your getting multiple pictures of the same buck, I would guess either he's stupid (which could be good for us hunters)
or
extremely wary as he walks through this same area where you have your camera.:eek:
He is most likely relying on his sight / nose for danger, to put himself in front of that yummy mineral block or corn that he can't resist as your camera takes his picture.
If the camera location is kept relatively scent free he wouldn't mind walking into the lens for a free meal!!!

All the pictures I've gotten of bucks is a one time only scenario. I watched a bucks track (in snow) skirt a hill by 30-40 yards just to avoid the trail I had my camera on.
Scaring 1 deer is too many for me.
So I typically put the camera out on a trail 100-200 yards from my tree stand, so this way he doesn't avoid my tree stand location due to the camera.

I also stop using cameras in my hunting spots by the end of July, no need to dissipate any extra scent close to the hunting season opener.
If I find a new spot during the season I might throw a camera out to see what kind of head gear he has on, but won't get my hopes too high for that season.
Although, I may use my antlerless tag as I sit and observe after a few attempts.

Schultzy 05-27-2009 08:36 AM

Right on Ed, good post!!

Snoogsdad 05-27-2009 09:38 AM

I've never seen any evidence that deer or bucks for that matter have any lasting fear of my cameras or the flash. If they are wound tight I've seen them jump and run and I've seen the same buck just stand there and get multiple flash pictures taken. I have even had multiple flash pictures of bucks laying down over long periods.

My one caveat is that I believe that there may be some deer whose personalities do not like the flash or anything foreign in their territory. I do not know this for a fact, but through all of the pictures I have it sure seems that some deer have different personalities. I also believe that older bucks often get more reclusive and I'm not sure if this means that they become afraid of cameras or if they just move less and stay away from any human contact.

I don't know if we'll ever completely figure them out, but they sure are fun to watch.