Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 flash scare deer??? >

flash scare deer???

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

flash scare deer???

Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: flash scare deer???

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

If there was a camera in your house and it flashed or made noise when taking a picture, would you be alarmed?
I know I'm not a deer, but if you keep "survival" in the back of your mind, it might help make certain decision's while hunting this prey!

Some deer may tolerate it, however if your getting multiple pictures of the same buck, I would guess either he's stupid (which could be good for us hunters)
or
extremely wary as he walks through this same area where you have your camera.
He is most likely relying on his sight / nose for danger, to put himself in front of that yummy mineral block or corn that he can't resist as your camera takes his picture.
If the camera location is kept relatively scent free he wouldn't mind walking into the lens for a free meal!!!

All the pictures I've gotten of bucks is a one time only scenario. I watched a bucks track (in snow) skirt a hill by 30-40 yards just to avoid the trail I had my camera on.
Scaring 1 deer is too many for me.
So I typically put the camera out on a trail 100-200 yards from my tree stand, so this way he doesn't avoid my tree stand location due to the camera.

I also stop using cameras in my hunting spots by the end of July, no need to dissipate any extra scent close to the hunting season opener.
If I find a new spot during the season I might throw a camera out to see what kind of head gear he has on, but won't get my hopes too high for that season.
Although, I may use my antlerless tag as I sit and observe after a few attempts.
You bring up some good points, BUT, comparing deer reactions to human reactions isn't accurate. Of course WE would freak out, but its different to a deer. They are not thinking "robber in my house...holy #$%!". They probably don't even associate them with humans.

And, think about the deer in my area for instance. I have had cameras in the woods flashing for 7 years. They deer get pics of them taken from fawn up to 5.5 years old, they grow very accustomed to it, kinda like 2nd nature. Now in new areas, it would be different.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

If there was a camera in your house and it flashed or made noise when taking a picture, would you be alarmed?
I know I'm not a deer, but if you keep "survival" in the back of your mind, it might help make certain decision's while hunting this prey!

Some deer may tolerate it, however if your getting multiple pictures of the same buck, I would guess either he's stupid (which could be good for us hunters)
or
He is most likely relying on his sight / nose for danger, to put himself in front of that yummy mineral block or corn that he can't resist as your camera takes his picture.
If the camera location is kept relatively scent free he wouldn't mind walking into the lens for a free meal!!!

All the pictures I've gotten of bucks is a one time only scenario. I watched a bucks track (in snow) skirt a hill by 30-40 yards just to avoid the trail I had my camera on.
So I typically put the camera out on a trail 100-200 yards from my tree stand, so this way he doesn't avoid my tree stand location due to the camera.

I also stop using cameras in my hunting spots by the end of July, no need to dissipate any extra scent close to the hunting season opener.
If I find a new spot during the season I might throw a camera out to see what kind of head gear he has on, but won't get my hopes too high for that season.
Although, I may use my antlerless tag as I sit and observe after a few attempts.
You bring up some good points, BUT, comparing deer reactions to human reactions isn't accurate. Of course WE would freak out, but its different to a deer. They are not thinking "robber in my house...holy #$%!". They probably don't even associate them with humans.

And, think about the deer in my area for instance. I have had cameras in the woods flashing for 7 years. They deer get pics of them taken from fawn up to 5.5 years old, they grow very accustomed to it, kinda like 2nd nature. Now in new areas, it would be different.

Well said Grasshopper!!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

or

You bring up some good points, BUT, comparing deer reactions to human reactions isn't accurate. Never claimed this was accurate, if I were an expert I'd do this for a living, simply my observation in my few years of trail camming... read below

Of course WE would freak out, but its different to a deer. They are not thinking "robber in my house...holy #$%!".
Simply written as a type of metaphor... Kind of like, I am so hungry I could eat a horse,
words written in black and white aren't always black and white (in this case there blue)
[&:] OR
(that's because I'm sad to write my response(blue))[8D] English language, you gotta love it!!!
Stick with me people I'm messin' around!

They probably don't even associate them with humans.
I mentioned the "relatively scent free" thingy, hence, less alarming for deer and not associating them with humans

And, think about the deer in my area for instance. I have had cameras in the woods flashing for 7 years. They deer get pics of them taken from fawn up to 5.5 years old, they grow very accustomed to it, kinda like 2nd nature.
Very good point!

Now in new areas, it would be different.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's some indisputable evidence of spooking deer with an IR trail camera. You can't tell me the regular flash camera's are any better. All deer are different. Like Ed said I've had many deer form a new trail around my camera's to avoid them. Whether It's the IR lights (tiny red lights blinking), scent, seeing It, noise, some deer do spook.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff319/scsmilkman/Nice%208/?action=view&current=2ndtrailNEcorner2008001.f lv

Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

or

You bring up some good points, BUT, comparing deer reactions to human reactions isn't accurate. Never claimed this was accurate, if I were an expert I'd do this for a living, simply my observation in my few years of trail camming... read below

Of course WE would freak out, but its different to a deer. They are not thinking "robber in my house...holy #$%!".
Simply written as a type of metaphor... Kind of like, I am so hungry I could eat a horse,
words written in black and white aren't always black and white (in this case there blue)
[&:] OR
(that's because I'm sad to write my response(blue))[8D] English language, you gotta love it!!!
Stick with me people I'm messin' around!

They probably don't even associate them with humans.
I mentioned the "relatively scent free" thingy, hence, less alarming for deer and not associating them with humans

And, think about the deer in my area for instance. I have had cameras in the woods flashing for 7 years. They deer get pics of them taken from fawn up to 5.5 years old, they grow very accustomed to it, kinda like 2nd nature.
Very good point!

Now in new areas, it would be different.
Now that back-n-forth right thier feels like the HNI glory days
Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fellas, let me chime in on this debate with another possibility. All of my cameras, with the exception of the Reconyx, make a slight noise when they go off. Possibly what the deer arereacting to is the noise. Having said that, I am no longer a believer in IR because I have had deer look at all my cameras when their pic is being taken. Now I know that there are some new cams out there now with so-called black flash, but I have had no experience with them so I don't know if they will be any better. I am like Caleb, I really prefer to get color photographs all the time, so if I buy anymore cameras, I think I will stick with white-flash. I really don't think there is any hard-fast rule you can apply as to whether it bothers them or not, I think some deer react and some don't. But I also think that they will get used to it.

After typing that last statement, I thought about it and I think I need to clarify what I meant about purchasing white-flash cameras. What I should have said was I will no longer buy a camera just because it is IR. I want to buy cameras that are well made and reliable. If that's an IR then it would be on my list of potential buy. In my opinion, the IR cams have some advantages such as battery life. It also seems that most of the companies out there are only manufacturing their top of the line cameras in IR. So if I said I would only buy white-flash, I would be eliminating alot of good cameras from consideration. I really wish that some of the great camera makers, such as Reconyx, would make a white-flash camera, that would make the choosing a whole lot easier.

Blessings.....Pastorjim