Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 My philosophy on trailcams >

My philosophy on trailcams

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

My philosophy on trailcams

Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My philosophy on trailcams

Last night, after the big download, my brother-in-law, who is my best hunting partner came by to look at my new pics. I was telling him how much work it had become to put the cameras out nowsince I have so many cameras and the accessories that go with them. He said to me that he thought it was just too much work just to get pictures of does but that he wouldn't mind the work if it was time for big racks. I tried to explain to him, and I hope there are those of you who will understand, that it really wasn't about only the racks. I admit, at first for me it was and I still hope to get pictures of nice bucks,but now it has morphed into something completely different. It's as if I am in pursuit of something. I told him that I don't alwaysknow what that something is but I know it when I see it. I don't think he understood. Are trailcams like that for anyone else or am I just crazy? I sit around thinking about different ways and methods to mount the darn things so that I can come up with interesting or unusual shots no matter what the animal is. Anybody else feel this way or am I just addicted? My wife says I am but she keeps buying me cameras. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My philosophy on trailcams

Pastorjim this is how I look at it. I find it amazing that 2009 technology gives me the ability to sneak into the wildlife world that other people don't see. To be able to watch wildlife at 3:00 amor for that matter anytime andsee how they eat, live andplay iseducational and very entertaining.Another take on itfor me is that ithelpscurb the sometimes painful anticipation of the next hunting season.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the great thing about it Jim. You don't exactly know what to expect when you check them. Just keep doing what you're doing!!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim I totally agree with you. I think the quest is to get a picture of any animal that when you look at it you say WOW great picture. The animal doesn't have to be a huge buck although we all hope to get a picture of one in the areas we hunt.

Trail cameras are like hunting. I don't hunt for the "kill". I hunt for the time I get to spend in the woods. Same goes for me and my trail cameras.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You allare on the right track. Mottz, you are coming close to what I was trying to express. janesburg, you are also on the right track. It is the wow factor and the anticipation of the unknown.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

By the way, here's another pic.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

PJ,

I know what you mean. At first it is all about big bucks. But for me, right now, its about getting "quality" pictures. Thats why i spend the money and get good cameras, and not a bunch of cheapos. I dont have cameras to help me hunt, i have cameras because i like getting pictures.

.....but we all know the best pictures are the monster bucks
Old 05-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jthelm

Pastorjim this is how I look at it. I find it amazing that 2009 technology gives me the ability to sneak into the wildlife world that other people don't see. To be able to watch wildlife at 3:00 amor for that matter anytime andsee how they eat, live andplay iseducational and very entertaining.Another take on itfor me is that ithelpscurb the sometimes painful anticipation of the next hunting season.

I feel the same way. I enjoy the ability to observe wildlife without really disturbing it.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can explain it this way. The trip to the camerasbrings the joy of the anticipation of my long nearly forgotchildhood. When I use towalk in the woods an down to fish in the pond down the road just seemed magical in the wondering of what the day will bring to me. The break of the dailygrind with something that is simple as opening up another round of pictures of somethingthat you only seem to enjoy during a few months of the year.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I know exactly what you guys are saying and agree totally. I have just as much fun "camming" as I do hunting or scouting. To me its like trapping, you try to make a set to catch a certain species. I like capturing animals doing their thing too, so most of my sets are not on bait of some sort, but one crossing on roads, meadows, openings, random places where it looks like there is sign of certain animals.

Plus its like Christmas everytime you check them. I am eagerly anticipating tomorrow morning, for my weekly check at this one location. You never know what is out there until you have something watching 24/7. Never mind the feeling of relief everytime you walk up to it and its still there too.LOL