Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good >

Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

i have to go with moultrie also. i have 3 of the D-40's and they are well worth the money.you can see pics i posted if you look back through some older posts

THE D-40s HAPPEN TO BE ON SALE AT MIDWAY USA FOR $69
HERES THE LINK

http://www.midwayusa.com/static/moultriegamecam.aspx?utm_source=Huntingnet&utm _medium=banner/trail&utm_campaign=Trail+Cam
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Picture quality means alot to me,

Picture quality i like: Moultrie I/M 40/60. Stealth Cam I450/550. All the cuddebacks. Homebrews. Cammtrackers.

I dont like: Moultrie D40's, Scoutguard, Wildview (the worst!).

Just opinion though.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the pictures of all the high end cameras everyone has, but I too worry about theft.
Plus I like to put cameras out in 2-4 different locations at a time, miles apart.
The price would add up quickly!!!

So I also bought the clearance sale WildViews (2-$100) in Jan. 2008.
So far they have worked great and I mostly use them to view the bucks in the area, so quality isn't a priority for me.

As you can see not as nice as the high end cameras,
but way cheaper than the high end cameras from 1 1/2 years ago when I purchased them.
Today's pricing would probably make me spend $100-$150 per quality camera, without losing any sleep over stolen cameras.

These are for Siman or SimON

Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

so quality isn't a priority for me.
And this man wonders my he didnt make my list

Truthfully, if your getting GOOD/INTERESTING pictures, then quality doesnt mean AS much. But if you have 2 deer and a raccoon standing around a feeder and you can tell if they have antlers or not because the picture is blurry, then quality comes into play.

You can get HIGH quality pics for under $200.

Cuddeback Capture ~ $199 ($165 with upgrade)
Stealth Cam I550 w/ battery pack ~ ($150, but these are going to be discontinued soon)

example:

Stealth Cam I550:

Beautiful crisp and clear picture for under $160. Cant beat that IMO.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ed,

I too, felt as you did about picture quality when I first started out. But now this thing has evolved into another hobby all it's own. So I find myself trying to get better and better pictures which in turn leads to spending more and more money. I worry sometimes about theft toobut their are getting to be some really good security boxes out there now, so far I have been lucky though. Anyway, it's whatever you want out of it that makes you happy. Whatever the quality of pics, I enjoy looking at all of them. So everyone, keep posting!!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ed I feel the same as you, not worried about pic. quality especially since these days the pic. quality between cheaper cams and more expensive cams isnt that big.

Pastor Jim, I guess I am the opposite of you When I started out using trail cams 14 years ago I didnt care how much they cost but since got tired of having some of them stolen and worrying all the time when my cams are in the woods (misewell take a couple bright eye's and $200-$400 dollars and stick it to a tree in the middle of the woods) Worrying about theft has even kept me from putting cams in area's I really wanted to put them in and with the cheap cams I dont worry about where I put them.
So over the years I started spending less money.
I currently own a I-40, a D-40, a capture, 3 wildview VGA.'s that I paid $35.00 each after rebate( not very good pic. quality but they have worked great without any problems and served the purpose I needed them for) and recently bought 4 wildview Extreme 4's for $30.00 after rebate, and there isnt any difference from what I can tell between the Extreme 4's and my I-40 and not much difference between the Extreme 4's and my Capture. Pike
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a few pics from Wildview VGA.'s that cost me $35.00 each last June

And here is a couple pics from my Wildview Extreme 4's that I bought for $35.00 each this past Dec., I just dont see a reason to spend $200.00 + on cams anymore. I will just keep waiting for the cheaper cams to go on sale and buy them, If one gets stolen who cares If they stop working after a year or two (which hasnt happened yet) who cares, I will just buy another and dont have to worry about dealing with poor customer service from trail cam companies. They also cost less than a Python cable etc. and the only thing a Python does it cause you to be out the money for a camera and a lock aswell. Pike

Old 04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

the higher end Wildview would be the way to go, I to am afraid they will walk and i use the Wildview2. I am only looking for time stamp on the trail that i put it on, so as long as i get a picture to make sure it wasnt two legged... the kodak moment you are really looking for after the kill.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Personally, I like the Cuddeback Capture. I got one for X-Mas this year, the Capture with flash. They aslo make the infared one, but mine cost about $200 and it is really to use. I also purchased a lock box on ebay specific to the camera whic cost about $50.00. I hunt on in a high traffic public hunting area and don't want anyone to steal my $200 camera. I have not yet had any problems with my Cuddeback and would recommednd it to anyone....

Good Luck, it is a very addicting hobby.

KJC
Old 04-11-2009, 04:37 AM
Spike

You can buy a Moultrie I-60 at Amazon.com for $244.00 . Free shipping too.

Quick Reply: Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.