Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 What Trail Camera >

What Trail Camera

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

What Trail Camera

Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Spike

Default What Trail Camera

Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm not a hunter but have a respect for wildlife. I own a small country place in Texas with just 25 acres. But quite a few deer, hog, coyotes etc. Even though I don't hunt I plant food plots and have several automatic feeders. I need some suggestions on trail cameras. I would enjoy filming the wildlife on our place. Thanks, Larry

Somedays I get BRAINSTORMS[8D]and Somedays just CLOUDS
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Trail Camera

For starters, welcome to the forum! There are plenty of cams out there. The question is what is your price range? Flash or IR? For feeders, I like the spypoint IR-A. 6MP, 48 IR leds, 2 second trigger time, up to 4 picture burst and video. Amazing color day pics. Thats what impresses me the most on this cam. Night infrared pics are bright. Price tags on these are about $199. Chasingame.com has tons of reviews on all types of cams. That would be a good place to compare the many cams out there.
Good Luck!

Joe
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMPARTSMAN,

Welcome to the forums. You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy trailcamming, I think I just invented a new word. I would second BEEBUSY"S suggestionabout checking out www.chasingame.com. I would also look at www.trailcampro.com website. I can tell you first hand that their customer service is second to none. Whatever you decide, good luck and we hope to see some of your pics posted real soon. But be forewarned, this hobby is very addictive. If you have one camera, then you will want two. If you have two cameras, then you will want three and well, you get the idea.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 03-17-2009, 05:19 AM

I would suggest the Moultrie i40. A hundred bucks and a great camera. This is just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Spike

Thanks for the responses. My problem is I know absolutely nothing about trail cams. If it were about old tractors,trucks and cars I would be in my comfort zone. Bare with me. Some of my questions? Flash or infared? my price range $150-$200. I saw some pics on the forum with good color, and picture quality and the pics were at night. My friend has a couple of cams and the night shots of the deer etc. just look like gray ghost, no color, poor picture features. Another friend has a predator cam. Excellent day pictures, crisp with good colors but the night pictures are only par. Are there draw backs to battery size? AAA, C's, or D's? How does a 12 volt system work? Thanks in advance, glad I found this forum, don't mean to be a pest with all the questions-LARRY

Somedays I get BRAINSTORMS[8D] Somedays I just get CLOUDS
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMPARTSMAN,

If you have $150-$200 to spend and you want a flash camera, I would suggest either a Moultrie M-40 or two Moultrie D-40s. If you want an IR (nightime black and white pics) I would suggest either a Moultrie I-40 or a Scoutgard. Batteries last longer in IR cameras because the IR doesn't use as much voltage as a white flash camera. I have two Moultrie I-40s and get about 5-6 months out of a set of D-cells. My Reconyxuses C-cells and so far the batteries have lasted the two months I have had it. Beebusy, one of those who answered your firstpost, sells Scoutgard and could answer any questions you might have. And don't worry about being a pest, it doesn't stop any of the rest of us.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Here is a nightime, IR pic, from my Moultrie I-40

Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I second the I-40, about $200 when I got mine

Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do your homework and check out severeal other info sources. I'd warn you to stay away from many of the cheap cams that many folks on forums would suggest.... you really do get what you pay for and a cheap cam is exactly that! I believe the only reason folks would possibly suggest these junky cams is simply because they have NO IDEA what a high quality trail cam is actually capable of! From trigger speed, number of successfully recorded images to image quality.... I haven't found anything that could compare with the Reconyx models. I've owned dozens of lesser cams and would trade them all for more Reconyx units... they are that impressive. It's honestly fun and something to look forward to every week or so to see what the Reconyx has captured that the other cams can't or won't. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I third the Moultrie I-40. I love them! Just buy a 1 or 2 gig SD card.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Spike

well after reading your post, viewing the pictures and checking my funds, I finally made my choice. Bought a Moultrie I-40 off ebay for $179.00 including shipping and a discount card on a card. Really excited about the opportunity to finally film the wildlife on my place. Thanks for the suggestions and hope before long will be posting some (GREENHORN) pictures!

Somedays I get BRAINSTORMS! [8D] But, Somedays I just get CLOUDS!

Quick Reply: What Trail Camera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.