Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Scout Guard SG 550. Next Best Camera? >

Scout Guard SG 550. Next Best Camera?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Scout Guard SG 550. Next Best Camera?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scout Guard SG 550. Next Best Camera?

ORIGINAL: MTdrahthaar

I looked and was impressed, right up until it said, NOT WEATHERPROOF!!! How asinine is that.
You beat me to it! That is the only thing that I don't really care for. The guys over at chasingame did a test and ran a water-hose over the cam and didn't have any problems, but the fact that they state the camera isn't weatherproof makes me shy away.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 AM

R33h go to cahsing game site check out the reviews for this cam . The update shows a cam with a garden hose running water over unit.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:30 PM

I have been looking at buying a 550. They seem to have many of the same featuresof the more expensive cameras. The first batch of 550's camo units did have some problems. I have been waiting to see if HCO will fix the problems. Bee Busy does the new batch of camo units have any problems? How loud is the filter clunk when changing from daytime to nighttime mode? Hope you guy'swill keep us updated on the new 2.0 upgrade.
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-03-2008, 04:28 AM

Does any one know what the new firmware repaired??

and what about the HCO in the bottom left corner.

I know a few guys that are not impressed with the smaller viewing screen because of the HCO logo.

But it is great that the time stamp is well out of view.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Guys, this should answer some of your questions
The firmware v2.0 is designed to:

1. Fix the potential problems:

a. Battery draining
b. Pre-shut down resulting in few pictures
c. Inconsistent performance over time (the late stage) such as longer trigger time and lower sensitivity.

2. Improve the image and video processing

a. Speed up the image processing and shorten the picture interval time in the multiple shot mode (e.g. 5M pictures, the picture interval time drops from 6-7s to 3-4s)
b. Decrease the number of bad pictures (such as red or black tinted ones)
c. Add video stabilization, decrease the number of bad videos.

I haven't noticed any noises when the cam goes from daylight to night, but not certain I've been around when it happens. I'll try to do some testing to see. Give me a couple days and I'll try to report back on it.

If you can write to an sd card in the reader on your printer then you can use it. It's a simple image that is written to the sd card then the camera downloads the image. It's really simple to do.

As for the blue light, I don't know. Mine hasn't gotten that low even after over 2000 pics and 180 videos.

If you guys have any more questions, let me know and I'll do what I can to answer them. The cameras are working great for me and so far I've only had 2 minor complaints from about 30 sold. 1 was battery drain and the new download has fixed it, the other just popped up friand I'll be contacting HCO about it monday. The guy is having problems with a sandisc card, but other cards work fine. I think it might be a bad card but not sure.

I think these are the best cameras on the market especially for the money. I'm still hearing problems from the new cudde's as well as the new moultrie's. I just think they are hard to beat right now and the manufacturer is steadily making them better.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fx4hauler

I have been looking at buying a 550. They seem to have many of the same featuresof the more expensive cameras. The first batch of 550's camo units did have some problems. I have been waiting to see if HCO will fix the problems. Bee Busy does the new batch of camo units have any problems? How loud is the filter clunk when changing from daytime to nighttime mode? Hope you guy'swill keep us updated on the new 2.0 upgrade.
Thanks
Mike
Since the new batch of camos, I have had no returns or complaints except for just 1 which was a system lock up when my customer attempted to load the new firmware. This is the first and only problem. Old camera to new firmware. The filter clunk is very quiet. You need to literally put your ear to it. I have been running my new and old cams continuously without a glitch. I must say that I am very impressed with this unit. I recently used it as a security cam and caught a neighbor in the act of dumping his furniture illegally into the roofing companies dumpster. The funny thing is that he tossed it from his 2nd story balcony. When he came down to get rid of it, the sg550 busted him See for yourself................

If that doesnt work, try this:

http://s308.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=IM000011.flv

Joe
BBO
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

The blue LED lite . Has anyone seem the blue low power LED lite . My unit stopped taking pics at night then the day pics didn't work either. The controll indicated 1 bar left but would not function at all and I seen no blue LED as per manual.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rasorbackq

My manual talks about a low power blue LED light . Where is it located and when does it come on at what level. . The fireware upgrdae ?? What is supposed to fix?? My printer has a SD card reader. Can I program the upgrade to that loaction??

The blue light is located in the center IR. If you just look at all your IRs directly you will notice that they are all white except for the center IR which is slightly darker. The blue light will light up when the batteries are very low in power. As for the programming, follow the instructions at the HCO site here:
http://www.huntingcamonline.com/services

Hope this helps

Joe
BBO
Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rasorbackq

Does any one know what the new firmware repaired??

and what about the HCO in the bottom left corner.

I know a few guys that are not impressed with the smaller viewing screen because of the HCO logo.

But it is great that the time stamp is well out of view.
As far as the logo, I made a suggestion to hco to try to remove the solid rectangular background and just leave the letters as thin solid or transparent. That should help. We will see if the factory will implement this in time..........

Stay tuned..............

Joe
BBO
Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 AM

So does the blue LED stay on to indicate low power or is it seen only when the IR flash comes on.

Quick Reply: Scout Guard SG 550. Next Best Camera?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.