Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Give me the Lowdown, leaf river, Moultrie..ect >

Give me the Lowdown, leaf river, Moultrie..ect

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Give me the Lowdown, leaf river, Moultrie..ect

Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Give me the Lowdown, leaf river, Moultrie..ect

I am trying to decide on asking for a trail camera or a tool box for my truck. Would it be smart to just wait til Feb or so to get a camera? oh well, I have narrowed it down between a Leaf River IR-3BU $219, Moultrie 4.0 IR Gamespy $219, and a Leaf River DC-6SS $269. I am not wanting to go over $300, cause the more expensive give I ask for the more expensive her gift will have to be, see what i am working with. I want the best camera I can get for the money, and I know absolutely NOTHING about trail cameras. So, I am wanting some advice and hopefully you guyscan paint a better picture for me. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Give me the Lowdown, leaf river, Moultrie..ect

I havetheDC-2BUcamera. I have been using it for 4 years still working good. Takes good pics an the batteries last 3 or 4 months in daytime only mode. Cabelashave them for $279.00.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM

I take it thats a leaf river right?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:29 PM

i kinda like the idea of having a IR camera, does this really make any difference OR is this some new trend that really isnt worth the buy?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes that is the leaf river camera. I hear that the pic quality is not as good on the infra red camera tyhe 3 IBU or what ever it is. The DC 2BU would be a great camera to start with, trigger speed a little slow, but doesn't seem to be a problem. My brother had the Moultrie an has had to return it twice for another one.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM

good info...i thought the ir was a trend thing
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

From my testing the IR cameras do not take very good pictures when compared to the flash models so I would recomend that you get the flash model. They also cost less than the IR.

As far as dependability goes, I've had Leaf River, Stealth Cam, Talon, Cuddeback, and Wildview brands quit working properly for me all within less than one year after purchase.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 PM

well you guys pretty much have me talked out of the IR flash cameras, now just picking one that is the most dependalbe out of the affordable range models. Dont get me wrong, I like the cuddebacks and others but usually the cheap chocolate taste as good as the expensive chocolate.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Moultrie GameSpy camera that takes 3.1 MP pics and it works great! It does have a slower triggering time, but I leave the cam over a corn feeder, so I get great pics of game while the are eating. This camera wouldn't be all that great if you are trying to put it on a trail where game doesn't stay in one spot for a longer time. If you are planning on putting the camera over a feeder, then get the Moultrie. Mine was $150 and I have had mine for a little over a year. It takes great pics, has the time, temp, moon phase all stamped on each pic. At $150, I am very pleased with this cam...and think...if you asked for this cam, then you wouldn't have to get an expensive gift for the other as you put it.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Something to consider is where you will put the camera. If you have the camera on a deer trail most of the time trigger time is VERY VERY important. For me I have my cameras on bait or scrapes probably 75% of the time. The other 25% is on trails. I still want the fast trigger time.

If you are on an automatic feeder all the time a camera like Leaf River is awesome. They take very very good pictures. I personally have (2) 2005 cuddies and they have never gave me a hiccup with thousands of photos on each. I had a Leaf River and it was great except for the trigger. I had a 2006 Cuddy and sold it for another 2005. I don't like the newer cuddies. New refurb cuddies can be had for under $300 with warranty.

Quick Reply: Give me the Lowdown, leaf river, Moultrie..ect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.