Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Best Month To Have Trail Camera Out?? >

Best Month To Have Trail Camera Out??

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Best Month To Have Trail Camera Out??

Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Month To Have Trail Camera Out??

what is the best month to have your trail camera set up? just curious....is there a graph or something somewhere where it shows when you see more deer? with antlers that is...obviously it wont be when they dont have their antlers...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Month To Have Trail Camera Out??

I say July - Aug.. I average 150 pics a week in July and Aug.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

I was told by a well-known whitetail "guru" that you need to have them out right now thru December. They are the bucks that you will have back in your "spot" next year when the rut rolls around.

I brought it up with him because I have cams up year-round in the same good spots(what I thought were good)and had lots of good bucks on my cams all the way thru summer until the velvet came off. They then disappeared and haven't come back, not one of them. But other bucks have moved into the area, none of which are as nice as the ones that were there in summer.

I can only figure, bucks have their summering and rutting areas and they are not one in the same. Now he did tell me that my situation(big timber, northern MT) is not going to be the same as an area that is agricultural. He told me those bucks stay in the same area all year and are relatively easy to pattern. But these big timber whitetails are unpredictable, too random, and very tough to hunt.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:30 PM

I get the most pics october throught january.... my favorite times are November cuz of all the bucks and May/June cuz of all the fawns.... But i get the most pics now cuz the deer are moving alot cuz it's cooler and it's still the rut
Old 11-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late September / Early October.

Can survey most of your area's bucks on Community scrapes - pictures are up close - and you don't need bait. More than 1/2 the pictures are bucks - and they are generally the ones you'll be hunting.

FH
Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you use a feeder right at the end of winter will get you boat loads of pictures. i was getting 800 pictures a week. otherwise late summer is the best for me. I'd get over 100 on a trail w/ no food source.

it kind of depends where you put the camera - food plots obviously get more pictures at a different time then a scrape andsalt blocks cool off right around the beginning of september, etc.