HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Which trail camera should I get? Moultrie, Leaf River ??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/215759-trail-camera-should-i-get-moultrie-leaf-river.html)

Contrast 11-03-2007 08:12 PM

Which trail camera should I get? Moultrie, Leaf River ???

I am looking into getting my first trail camera. What do you guys think of these? Any other suggestions in the 200 - 300 price range?
Thanks

Moultrie Game Spy 6.0 Megapixel IR Flash with Built-In Viewer

Leaf River IR Scouting Camera

Stealth Cam STC-V550MTR 5.0-Megapixel Digital Scouting Camera

ILL Boy 11-04-2007 03:34 PM

RE: Which trail camera should I get? Moultrie, Leaf River ???

You might take a look at this guys website. It's pretty comprehensive. Let us know what you decide on.

ILL Boy 11-04-2007 03:35 PM

Forgot the link
http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/

Hunter493 11-05-2007 05:46 AM

I say Stealth cam there are the best for there money if you ask me:)

Duse500 11-05-2007 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: ILL Boy

Forgot the link
http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/
I'm sure the guy puts alot of time in keeping the site going but I got to disagree with it.
The Eagle Eye is a POS and it's got the best rateing.
The buck eye useed to be on there and that was bad also
The Pennswoods is an alright setup but it's pricey

todd a smith 11-05-2007 10:29 PM

moultrie d40 for the money...cuddeback takes a nice pic...look at the pics here
and make your mind up...

Snoogsdad 11-07-2007 02:14 PM

That is a tough one. First you might want to decide whether or not you want an IR camera. I've not been very pleased with the three IR cams I have tested to date. I still prefer those with the flash.

I have the Moultrie M60 and it is performing alright except that is washes out the pictures real bad at dawn and dusk so bad that you can't tell anything at all about what it took a picture of. The IR version wouldn't have this problem but I've not tested it.

I have the Leaf River IR and do not like it. The pictures are poor such that it is difficult to tell much about the deer in the picture. I also do not like the buttons and operation of the Leaf River cameras as compared to other cameras.

I'm not sure about the Stealth STC-V550MTR. The Stealth I tested was older and has not performed well. It quit working altogether this summer and the LCD screen had quit working a few months prior. I'm not sure if Stealth made any improvements to this camera.

I know the fellow who runs that website, I'm helping him type this. He's not the brightest bulb but he likes to test the cameras and hopes to help a hunter or two. Deciding what to spend hard earned money on can be a tough decision.

Take is easy on the old EagleEye. With the exception of the crazy light blink thing to set the time delays that camera has take thousands of pictures and operated 24/7 for over three years now, with great picture quality, great battery life and dependability. Mine is hardly a POS (piece of shale, piece of shovel, piece of shrimp....oh well)

I've not tested the Buckeye Cam, not sure where you saw that one.

The Penns Woods operated great for me for about a year and a half and then the Minolta camera went bad. I bought another Minolta and replaced it and it went bad too. I've given up. The downside to this setup was the slow trigger speed although it still did a great job on food plots. The current Penns Woods cameras are too pricey. You can get equal or better for less money.

Enjoy your new camera when you get it, watch out they get addictive.

Duse500 11-07-2007 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Snoogsdad

Take is easy on the old EagleEye. With the exception of the crazy light blink thing to set the time delays that camera has take thousands of pictures and operated 24/7 for over three years now, with great picture quality, great battery life and dependability. Mine is hardly a POS (piece of shale, piece of shovel, piece of shrimp....oh well)

I've not tested the Buckeye Cam, not sure where you saw that one.

The Penns Woods operated great for me for about a year and a half and then the Minolta camera went bad. I bought another Minolta and replaced it and it went bad too. I've given up. The downside to this setup was the slow trigger speed although it still did a great job on food plots. The current Penns Woods cameras are too pricey. You can get equal or better for less money.

Enjoy your new camera when you get it, watch out they get addictive.
Your right
I'll be honest,I probably have more of a problem with Eagle eye,aka ,,,Jeff Biron,elkaholic,naturequest ,,and the costomer service then I do with the set-up
The only reason the setup works now is thanks to a couple other guys

Maybe you got better service because of the Camera Reviews but the general concenuse was terribill
It was so bad infact the name was changed to Naturequest.
(You can change the name but the person
was still the same)
Well that lasted about a yearand a halfbefore criminal charges were brought up (what ever happened with it I dont know)I'm sure he lurks around and is probably under a different name.
,If you still wanted the same setup as the eagle-eye ,it's a BG-2 board hacked to a sony P-41( best camera out at the time) Enough about him..

I wouldent get another,but
I never had a problem with the minolta camera in the pennswood and it's got to be5 years old. It still works and I still use it.
Out of all the cameras I have or had the best would be either the WTS XLP with the IR (or white flash ) with an s-600OR the SSS with the same camera.
Besides being a 6.0 camera with an ISO at 1000 the Customer service is the BEST I have ever dealt with.

addictive???? OH YEAH