Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Licks/ mineral blocks? >

Licks/ mineral blocks?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Licks/ mineral blocks?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:42 AM

Default RE: Licks/ mineral blocks?

Yeah, I put out a "deer mineral block" and it looked pretty ignored. Looks like I'll be trying a cattle salt block with a little deer jam on it and some deer co-cane.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

I have used both the co-cain and the regular mineral blocks from the farm section of the local farm supply store. Sometimes the salt or mineral blocks will take time for the deer to find them (one of mine took 3 years), but after that they will regularly attend it. But remember that deer need the minerals most in the Spring and early summer. IT is during this time of year that the deer will seek out the block sites, not so much during the fall or hunting season. Another thing is that I have found that the deer would rather eat the soil (which the salt impregnated when it disolved) then eat or lick the actual block. One occasion I had the deer eat soil from under the block, causing the block to tip.

Start the mineral sites early in the year if you can to get it into the deer regular habbits. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Spike

Yeah the deer jam works great!! I usedthe apple flavor on an old log and the log is almost gone. They seem to just love it.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine bought an apple flavored salt block and we put it about ten yards in front of my trail camera and I am getting all sorts of pics. I have pics of deer licking it, I have a pic that I posted a couple weeks back of two bucks fighting over the salt block. Some really great pics and lots of them. In about two weeks my cam took about 400+ pics.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Spike

try to stay away from the buck jam (the apple flavor anyway) if you have many bears in the area. I puta jug out saturday and on tuesday i had 3 deer pictures and 26 bear pictures. Just something to keep in mind. anyone have any luck with the c'mere deer stuff?