Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Moultrie I-40 or I-60 >

Moultrie I-40 or I-60

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Moultrie I-40 or I-60

Old 08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Moultrie I-40 or I-60

dang trail cameras these days![:@]. Me and my budddies are taking a road trip to Cabelas in Dundee, MI, on sunday and are gunna get a trail cam. now comes the toughest choice. The I-40 or I-60. i dont really need the 1.5" camera screen and remote thing with the I-60 but love the resoulution it comes packing with but are willing to spend that much for the I-60. my question is, what one do you guys perfer??? Is 2 megapixels worth 80 bucks more??? better take time with one another???

Thanks,
Hoytteen
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moultrie I-40 or I-60

There are probably going to be as many opinons on these questions as there are guys reading it. My personal opinion having tried quite a few trail cams is that they all have not met what my expectations have been. At least for a piece of equipment I have paid up to $400 for in the past. To me, resolution is not a real important consideration. The difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP is not going to be all that dramatic in a trail cam. I have had higher resolution trail cams only to be disappointed at how they are not able to handle daylight (such as a morning angle through the leaves) and how it washes out the picture. Some of these more expensive trail cams have not even been able to handle motion very well. And this from a deer walking though the field of view....gofigure. That's what they're supposed to be able to take a picture of!That's not to say that a cheap trail cam is going to be any better...or worse though. The biggest disappointment, however, is that many times, the trigger time is just lagging way beyond a second (which is often times touted in the specification and advertisement claims). This is why you often get pictures of just trees....or just as bad, the infrared doesn't pick up the motion at all. I know this is a big problem...particularly in the summer when ambient air temperature is high and is closer to the temperature of the deer's body than it is in the fall. Finally, battery lifeshould be an important consideration but not as much as trigger lag and infrared pick up. My current Cuddeback uses 4 D batteries a month. To me, that is tolerable, but considering the camera only took 13 pictures (half of which were non-flash pictures)it seems to be a battery hog. I put this particular camera over a mineral deposit that was hammered hard and refreshed 3 times since spring. I know it is frequently visited and yet I only get 9-15 pics in a 2 week period.I am sure that the camera missed many more shots for whatever reason because the settings are set to take a picture every 5 seconds and only 2 of the 13 pictures last time I checked were shots close together.

One of your questions was about the 1.5" screen on the I-60. I suppose if you just can't wait to get back home to look at your pictures it might be worth it. I chose the Cuddeback for this particular trail cam because it uses a compact flash card. I can take it out of the trail cam and slip it into my Sony digital Power Shot and view it in the field. Or I just replace it with another 512 MB compact flash card and bring it home and slip it into my computer and download them directly off the card. So my personal thought would be that the 6 MP and the 1.5" screen would be unnecessary for me. A 512 MB card is not expensive at all.

Now, having said all of this, I will tell you where I am headed in the winter months after hunting season is over. I am going to start to build my own trail cameras because I think I can buy the parts not only cheaper, but also I believe the quality of the sensors that you can buy will be much better and I should be able to reduce some of the lag time and improvemotion sensors while at the same time make a much better battery system that will last much, much longer (some guys are using solar to supplement battery power). I am bookmarking sites that give step by step intructions and forums for backup help. If you have an interest PM me and I will forward what I have so far. If not, have fun in Dundee. Maybe I'll seee ya down there. Planning a musky fishing trip and need some equipment. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:45 PM

i am thinking that the I40 would be just as good as the I60 in the pic quality. i got the I60 because of the remote, pic res, and the screen. I found that the screen on the camera is too small to determine anything so it is usless. i do like the remote, as i sit in my stand, i can watch the buck i want to shoot and take a pic just when he is in the perfect postion with a click of a button. last year i was just hoping it took a pic of him. and i have to say that you can really zoom in on your computer with this 6.0 pixel, two thumbs up on this one. i got an external rechargable battery from cabelas and have not had to worry about battery charge at all. it has taken well over 3000 pics (most at night) and the battery is still fully charged. you have to check the external battery with a voltage tester because it will not regester on the screen, it just says EB where the % was. they should fix this oversight, kind of anoying to drag a voltage tester around. i have had problems with this cam within the first 3 weeks or so with pic quality and some other stuffbut it is running flawlessly now, even the whiteout pics are becoming less and less. if the extra options are not a factor, you should not spend the extra doe! lol

CC
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Spike

I have both the I-40 & I-60. Pics on both cams are very good, it's hard to tell any difference. I'd tell ya to save some money & go with the I-40. As for the viewing screen, I don't even use it. It's hard to tell what you're looking at as it is with such a small screen. You really can't go wrong with the I-40.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I-40... I couldnt jusifty the extra $ for the I-60.