Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Do You save money$$$ by building your own home brews!?? >

Do You save money$$$ by building your own home brews!??

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Do You save money$$$ by building your own home brews!??

Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do You save money$$$ by building your own home brews!??

Im just wondering how much the average homebrew trail camera costs to make? Is the quality better??Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Default RE: Do You save money$$$ by building your own home brews!??

you would probly save a little $ off the price of a cuddeback or one of the higher end models but you can still wrap up a pretty good amount of money in one.

The cheaper cams are getting much better so I will be sticking with those such as the wildview 3.0 and up. I used to make tons of cams and I got sick of it and it can be very time consuming too.

rick
Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 AM

It depends on what you want. If you want to feel the satisfaction of building your own and then getting pics of deer from it, you should do it even if you can buy a cheaper one. I'll tell you right now the feeling is great. You'll also learn alot about them as you build and what really sets a good trail camera apart from a bad one.

Plus to get comparable pics you would have to spend $400 just to get that quality. If you build it all yourself you can build a p41 for about $225 or cheaper if you shop well. A little more for the IR version. But the IR versions w/ a p41 is way better than any IR cameras that I have seen on the market.

The time you will spend on them is more in the first one you build because you have to learn what you are doing. After the first one it's easy and doesn't take that much time. I would say once you get all the parts and tools you will only have a few hours in it to build.

Sure you could buy a moultrie just as cheap but the p41's consistency and quality is way better in my opinion. Definatley better than blurryback I never get bad pics.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Spike

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but where can I find more information on building my own trail cams? Is it still somewhat beneficial (cost-effective), even though trail cam prices have dropped alot in the past 2 years? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ostie82

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but where can I find more information on building my own trail cams? Is it still somewhat beneficial (cost-effective), even though trail cam prices have dropped alot in the past 2 years? Thanks.
Check here:
http://www.chasingame.com/forum/view...ac7d0d4fb1f9a1
Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Spike

Thanks pnut!