Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Cuddeback Excite or Expert >

Cuddeback Excite or Expert

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Cuddeback Excite or Expert

Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cuddeback Excite or Expert

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

RackLusterand doughboysigep,

I'd love to see how your photos from a $100 Wildview compare to the Cuddeback Expert ?!? I'm having a pretty hard time believing that they are anywhere near as good, especially image quality and trigger speed! Let's see someimages?
I didn't say the wildview took better pictures. I said it was a better camera (meaningthe whole package - sensing range, photo quality, battery life, etc.).
A little background:
I had my cuddeback no-flash in the field foralmosta month andI got 2 pictures - that's it! (I have 3500 pictures of deer and bear since january '07 w/ my wildview 2.0).Somewhere on chasingame.com there's a thread that I started that I explain the dozen or so issues I have w/ the no-flash.
Now, we have enough wildview pics on this thread so i'm not going to add to them. But I'll tell you, they are a lot better then mycuddeback pics

Also - the 07 cuddebacks have the same case as the 06 cuddebacks. Most of their problems are with the case. I don't see how it's possible that they've fixed the issues then???

Here's my2 wonderful cuddeback pics(sorry they're so big. not going to fix them now, too lazy)

Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greenbay

I appreciate ALL of the info guys...although I have to admit I am getting confused even more so now......Wildview, Moultrie, Cuddeback, ??????? I guess I will have to continue to keep an eye on all of the threads here and continue to read any updated reviews.

Thanks again!!
It's a tough call. You are going to find people that have problems with every brand. I'm no expert but this is my 7th year using trail cams and I've never heard of so many issues w/ a brand of cams as the cuddebacks.

People seem to bereally liking the new moultries but I'm not in love w/ mine. It doesn't'sense' motion as well as my wildview. I've walked right passed it several times and no picture! That said, I'd buy the moultrie i40 or d40 over any cuddebackthough!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Well,,,,, I've been trying to keep up with this thread, reading and learning, trying to decide on my next game camera, and honestly, I can't. I have two of the OLDMoultrie 100's 1.3 mp cams that give no trouble but I want to upgrade to a better camera. I thought I wanted a cuddeback expert but I don't know if it takes night color pictures or not. Then I thought I wanted the Moultrie 5.0 Outfitter camera with built in viewer, but it takes 6 D cell batteries and I like the 6volt rechargable battery with solor panel charger. I really don't mind too much paying a preminum price for a camera as long as it has the features I want. I want, what I want. It's as simple as that and so far, game camera companies just haven't come out with asimple rechargable battery operated, simi quick trigger speed, a sturdy, lock on the tree case camera that is reasonably priced. There are just too many cams on the market to try and choise from now-a-days. It's like a kid in the candy store thingy. I can't make up my mind, so I'll probably just walk outta the store with my mouth watering and looking sad and droopy. LOL
BBO
Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

This is just my .02 on this subject. I have owned the following cams.
35mm, and Digital Stealth cams.
35mm, digital, and IR Leaf River cams
I currently have 2 2005 digital3.0 Cuddebacks, and 2 2006 Expert Cuddebacks. My hunting friends have recently bought 6 of the new 4.0 IR Moultries for their lease.

Based off my experience I wouldnotbuy another Stealth Cam, orLeaf River unless major performance improvements were made. I had way too many issues with both of these cameras.

My 2005 Cuddebacks have performed flawlessly for 3 years, and I run my cameras for about 10 months of the year. I have never had 1 problem with either of them. I would buy another one in a minute if they were still available.

My 2006 Cuddeback Experts. I bought them right after they were released. I have sent both of them in for repair because of software issues. They were draining batteries, and not taking pictures. I was really getting a bad taste for this so called new improved model. Since both my cameras have been upgraded to the 07 software they have performed flawlessly. The pictures are incredible quality, and the flash range is far better than any camera I have ever used. I have had my Experts out since 4/1, and when I checked them on 6/17 they were still 75% on battery life. They have taken approx 500 pictures each. In summary I believe Cuddeback relased the Experts before the bugs were worked out, and the consumer like me paid the price. If the Experts continue to perform like they have since being upgraded, I would buy another one, but I will be morecautiouswhenlooking at a brand new model on the market.

The update I have have from my friends on the6 new IRMoultries, are they are experiencing issues with all white pictures at night. They are washed out. The day time photos appear to be very goodquality and the trigger speed is very good also as they advertised. They have been in contact withMoultry on the white out issue, but it isnot resolved yet.4 of the 6 cameras are having this issue.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I service cameras for client and the only camera I use for my self is the cuddebacks. They are pricey, but my client need to know I am using quality. I agree the battery life is not as they say like 6 months butmy cam's take 500 pics plus a month. As far as the moultries flashback I have not but my hand on one but I had another camera do that, and I had to build a shield to make the flash go outside of the housing and not flash back in side
Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 PM

i read the reviews about the cuddeback on the other site and wondered why they were so harsh,i have hada cuddeback expert for a year and it has taken excellent pictures.battery life was great ,have never got a picture without a animal,distance that it took some pics were far i thought.and didnt have any problems with leakage that i know of.this year though i set it up and would only take a couple of pics before the batteries would die.so i called cuddeback got to talk to a real person right away,explained my problem,and that i didnt have the receipt.she said no problem send it in and we will have it back in 7 to 10 days and well throw in a newer version circiut board or something like that while we have it here?that was 4 days ago so still waiting but customer service so far ill say is awesome.just my experience.