HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   Finally! Trail Cam pics from New Mexico! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/190366-finally-trail-cam-pics-new-mexico.html)

rtread 05-02-2007 11:08 PM

Finally! Trail Cam pics from New Mexico!

I finally was able to test my new Cuddeback (Expert 3.0) on some real wildlife. We just spent close to three weeks where I bowhunt in the fall (South Central New Mexico) and my Cuddeback was put to the task. It took hundreds of pictures over a two week period and it was tough to cull the pictures down to a handful to share with everyone. I ended up with some of the most unique pictures and varieties of wildlife in an album on PhotoBucket and invite everyone to take a look and give me some feedback. I regret not getting pics of coyotes, mountain lions, or Jaguarundis....they are in the area.
BTW, I was very pleased with the overall performance of the Cuddeback and the only knock I have is the battery changing operation....pretty tough when the camera is mounted 3' high and the user is a bifocal wearer. Cuddeback needs to improve on that!!
I had to change the 4 D cell batteries once during the two weeks and the camera took hundreds of pictures.
Also, I am now convinced that the flash does not run the game off as I saw the same animals hang around many minutes with the camera going off at two or three minute intervals. If anything, the camera actually attracts the deer and elk.....they get up real close as seen on some of my pictures. One elk calf actually slobbered and snotted on my lense and I had to clean it off next morning.
Please enjoy the pictures at http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x66/rtread/and give me some feedback on what you think! Thanks. Ray

huntingson 05-03-2007 06:52 AM

RE: Finally! Trail Cam pics from New Mexico!

Ray, those are awesome pictures man. I can't believe that some of the deer and even a bull still had their racks at the end of April. Were the dates on the pictures correct? Either way, I need to bowhunt where you bowhunt. Looks awesome. Great job setting that up so well.

rtread 05-03-2007 08:04 AM

Ray, those are awesome pictures man. I can't believe that some of the deer and even a bull still had their racks at the end of April. Were the dates on the pictures correct? Either way, I need to bowhunt where you bowhunt. Looks awesome. Great job setting that up so well.
Thanks huntingson! Yes, the dates and times are correct. I was surprised to see any antlers at all this late but saw a few. Matter of fact, a four point mule deer lost his left side while eating corn in front of the camera. Glad you enjoyed! I sure enjoyed checking the pics every morning. Can't wait till Sept. 1! Ray

TexasOaks 05-03-2007 11:07 AM

Nice Pics. Is New Mexico where you do most of your hunting?

Legacy357 05-03-2007 12:50 PM

cool pics!

rtread 05-03-2007 02:10 PM

I have bowhunted in New Mexico the past two years and gun hunted the same areas before that. I haven't hunted whitetails in Texas for about six years....lost my good opportunity in my home area.
BTW.....hung my peanutbutter bucket up and on the warmer days it dripped good and the stuff was gone off the ground in the morning. I also had corn, apples and alfalfa out at different times trying to get a good variety of game. We caught our limit in trout and I hung up the heads and guts in a bag trying to get coyotes in but they never showed.

TexasOaks 05-03-2007 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: rtread

I have bowhunted in New Mexico the past two years and gun hunted the same areas before that. I haven't hunted whitetails in Texas for about six years....lost my good opportunity in my home area.
BTW.....hung my peanutbutter bucket up and on the warmer days it dripped good and the stuff was gone off the ground in the morning. I also had corn, apples and alfalfa out at different times trying to get a good variety of game. We caught our limit in trout and I hung up the heads and guts in a bag trying to get coyotes in but they never showed.
Where did you buy the alfalfa or are you growing it? Also do you buy your apples at the store or what? Man I cant wait to go fishing in about a week. Congrats on the fish. Nicely done on the peanutbutter bucket. Sorry about losing the property to hunt on in Texas.

rtread 05-03-2007 06:16 PM

Where did you buy the alfalfa or are you growing it? Also do you buy your apples at the store or what?
I buy the alfalfa at the feed store in Capitan, NM.....it is plentiful inthat area. Lots of alfalfa fields in the Artesia-Roswell area. I have also bought alfalfa here in Central Texas at times. Deer and elk love it. I have seen 5 elk destroy 2 bales of alfalfa in 30 minutes! Deer are more mannerly.
I buy 10 pound bags of apples at Sam's Club....throw 3 or 4 apples in with corn. (I don't hunt baited ground in the fall....it's a no-no in NM, but for picture taking I throw lots of bait out.)

lacy_94 05-04-2007 03:35 PM

nice pics ;)

outdoorsfellar 05-04-2007 06:19 PM

Quite impressive !