Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Which Trail Camera? >

Which Trail Camera?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Which Trail Camera?

Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which Trail Camera?

i know ya'll have seen this question asked a bunch and i have read alot of the older threads which suggest expensive cam's like the Cuddeback. i know the Cuddeback is a good cam but not on my budget. i also hunt bear infested public land. this means there is always a possibility of theft and bear damage. i buddy of mine had his expensive Cuddeback tore up by a bear.

so i am basically looking for the best bang for the buck. i'd rather not have a 35mm camera due to the cost of picture developing but i don't want to spend a fortune on a digital camera that could be damaged or stolen. i'm planning on doing most of the set ups over scrapes. this will take away the need for a super fast trigger speed...however i don't want one that is dog slow either. battery life isn't all that important because it will be checked atleast every other week.

any suggestions would be great, thanx in advance!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Trail Camera?

CamoCop.....I did a lot of research and shopping around before I decided on a Cuddeback. I'm pleased with it other than I think they might be overpriced. While doing my research and since, I have become impressed with the Moultrie pics that are posted here. Some Moultrie users can tell you about their operation, but to me they look like maybe the best bang for the buck. Ray
Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

5 or 6 new moultires coming out soon
Old 03-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would wait and see for the new cameras comming out this year. We have cuddeback and moultrie. If you go moultrie I recommend the solar panel. Cuddeback is good but its expensive.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:11 PM

I have the moultrie with the solar panel and rechargable battery.
I have had it in the woods for the past month and the battery has stayed charged to 99% with the first photo the other day which I posted so you can see how the pitchers come out. they are pretty neat. good luck in your search.
krahbldr

Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i definately like the Moultrie because of the temp., moon phase, time, etc. displayed on each pic. i wouldn't mind spending the money on quality trail cam IF i knew it wouldn't get stolen or destroyed by bears.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate the fact that you don't want to put a lot of money into something a bear may tear up. If you don't want to put the money into a good camera then you will give up something.

For example the last two weeks I had my Moultrie 200 and one of my homebrew cameras at a feed trough. With both cameras pointing to the same place and with the same 5 minute delay the Moultrie took 48 pictures while the homebrew took 88 pictures. This is commonplace for the Moultrie. For some reason it just misses pictures.

I've also noticed the same thing with the Cuddeback before it quit working.

This and trigger speed are not the only variables though.

You can take a look at our digital trail camera reviews at the website listed below or if the odds are pretty good that a bear will soon tear it up you might want to just get the cheapest one that you can get your hands on.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

that's what i was thinking, we do have a major bear problem. you can't even leave any foam/cushion type padding in your tree stand or the bears will tear it out over night. my uncle actually had a bear trailing him while he was dragging a deer out. the bear would try to stay just out of sight and follow him waiting for him to leave it. we also had a bear climb into the back of our truck and throw a cooler out that had fresh venison in it from a morning harvest. the bear ended up stealing a ham out of it.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a moultrie cam and I really like it. It was very expensive and it takes great pics for the price. I like the fact that it also puts the moon phase and time stamp and temp on the pic as well. I haven't gotten the solar panel and rechargable battery yet, but I am planning on doing so very quickly. The cam goes through a 6 volt battery in about three weeks. So if you decide to get a moultrie, definitely get the solar panel and recharagable battery. Moultrie is also comming out with some new cams and are suppose to have a major improvement on battery life and triggering speed (from what I understand).
Old 03-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have been reading lots about the new stuff by LR and Moultrie. At some point if these commercial cams put it all together, it may not be worth building my own. But as far as bears, the good thing about a homebrew, if a g-bear tears it up-- I will probably be able to fix it. But I can't see a griz even crushing a pelican case. I can guarantee, a bear is going to try one of my cameras this summer.

Quick Reply: Which Trail Camera?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.