Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Tougher than I thought. >

Tougher than I thought.

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Tougher than I thought.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Tougher than I thought.

I just got my first game camera for Christmas this year and I am finding that there is more to it than Ioriginally thought. So far I have left it out twice for about a week at the time. The first time I got 4 pictures of the woods at night and the second time I got 3 pictures of the woods during the day. When I retrieved the camera the first time I noticed that a spider had built a web over the motion sensor. This last time I believe that I did not properly account for the sunset and that triggered the camera. Below are points that I have learned so far on my own, please add to these if there are other points that I need to know

1. I was spreading my corn out too far, it needs to be more centralized to get the deer in the pictures at night. I have a Wildview 0.3 MP by the way.

2. Be aware of sunrise and sunset positions.

3. The deer may not have found my corn and/or are not regularly going to it yet. The corn is being eaten, but the area is wrapped up with squirrels and I think that they are eating a lot of it. I will keep putting it out and hoping for the best.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tougher than I thought.

Mount it 24-30 inches from the ground. Make sure the corn is within the flash range for your camera.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the input. I am hoping that I am just having a spell of bad luck.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

coons take to the corn like crazy, every deer pic i have theres a coon gobbling the corn up too

Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM

you should plop down some coon traps around your corn and snag some of em.... eventually you wont have them bother you anymore
Old 02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats a pretty big coon isnt it? i dont know anything about them
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 AM

I may do that skidder. My brother-in-law has a Bluetick pup that he is starting. I don't get to the camera everyday though. So I would need to increase my visits.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Yep, that coon is full grown, for sure.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM

Don't rely on the corn to draw the deer.Set it up on a well established deer route so they find it easily.

Set the camera up facing generally North in the winter. I've had some midday shots while facing south that were unfortunately washed out by bright sunshine.

If your camera will take multiple shots per triggering event, use them. Sometimes you might miss the first deer moving thru, but catch others as they come into range - handy during the rut if it's a buck chasing a doe.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

coons take to the corn like crazy, every deer pic i have theres a coon gobbling the corn up too

I have the same problem...

Quick Reply: Tougher than I thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.