Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Stolen Camera

Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 AM

Default Stolen Camera

I just bought my first camera 2 months ago. I put it up on a tree back home in Louisiana, I got some pictures of 3 does after 2 days. I set the camera back up so that when I return in 3 weeks i could see what has been going on since I left. My brother in law went to change the battery for me yesterday and said the camera was gone. Some onehas stolen my camera on private property. I have an idea of who did it. I have had lots of trouble with one neighbor who seems to think he can hunt and poach wherever he wants. If i can recover my cam I'm sure it will have pics of who stole it. Also does anyone know what i can do to press charges against the person who stole the camera if i can recover it. Or is it even worth the time and effort to press charges. I know that this person will be getting an ol fashion *** whoopin from this country boy. I hate thieves, I have been so excited to go back home and see what was on the camera and now this... Also anyone in the Franklinton LA, Washington Parish area if you hear anything about a moultrie game cam that was stolen give me a shout and let me know. Thanks for any info, hope I didn't vent to much, but I'm fired up...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:24 AM

Default RE: Stolen Camera

My moultrie was stolen here in NY the first week of bow season. I called the State police right away and made a report. The biggest problem with that was I hadn't recorded the serial number so I can't really prove it is mine if they ever find it. So the lesson is Write Down the serial number Before you set it out in the woods and use a metal security box with heavy chain to slow them down!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your camera getting stolen. Everyone hates a thief! Marlin, good comment on writing the serial number down.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Is there any chance that your brother in law didn't look in the right spot?
You know how brothers in law are.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Call your local Game Warden. They have more rights than any other law enforcement division. No need for search warrant. If you know who it might be all they have to do is wait for him to go some where and they canpull them over and search their truck. They can alsotake a stroll on the neihbors property and see if he can find it.
I've always worried about mine being stolen but have been very fortunate up to this point!

I've been telling the game warden where I hunt that my neighbors are corning the mess out of the deer.Every deer wewould shoot would be slam full of corn.He would check around but never could find anything. That was until last month I heard one of their feeders go off within hearing distance of my stand. I called him and he met me the next day. We walked to the edge of my property and waited. 4:45 rolled around...jingleingleling. the feeder went off. We walked straight to it. The next sat he sat in the woods and waited. Ole boy got up in his stand and he busted them. Shut the place down till the after Jan and fined them. Found4 more feeders and said there was probably more. Gave them 2 weeks for the corn to be gone and then 2 more weeks for each feeder. 8 weeks altogether. No one can set foot on the property with a firearm for the rest of the season.

The law will work for you if you ask. GOOD LUCK.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:58 AM

Thanks for your replies. I know my brother in law looked in the right place he said he was were i trimmed some limbs off the tree where i placed the camera. He also told me the other night on the phone that he went back out there and looked around and saw what looked like some dragg marks in front of the camera and then he said he saw some old dried up blood. After checking around the word is out about a bigg buck being killed, but the story is that it was killed in the woodsnot less that 100 yards from my camera, I think the person or person's that stole the camera were spotlighting in my food plot and when they dragged the deer out of the plot the camera took a picture of them and they stole it to cover there tracks, my brother in law said the blood and dragg marks stopped and then were 4 wheeler tire tracks going up into the woods across our property line. He is contacting some law enforcement and goiing to try and take some pics of what he saw. The person I believe to be behind this does have a 4 wheeler becuase during bow season I found a climbing stand on my property which I took down and put in my dad's shed. After a few days this guy showed up at my house on his 4 wheeler, I explained to him that I am not a thief but if he hung another deer stand on my property that it would become mine, and if I caught him out there again trying to hunt I would have him arrested, I guess he did not take me serious. I guess he realizes I'm not there all year to police the property. Well that's changed, my high school buddy is hunting out there now and he works for th sheriff's department, he is on the look out also. He is working to set up some type of little sting operation and him and my brother in law are calling the game warden to see what can be done to catch this person or group of person's.

I will keep you all up to date
Old 12-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

That is pretty ballsy for them to do! Keep us posted on what becomes of it.

I'm an hour and a half from my camp so I know the feeling of not being there. I do make an occasional trip up in the middle of the week to catch a morning or afternoon hunt every now and then. Just to keep the neighbors on their toes.

Good luck and hope you catch the sorry joker.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM

Keep us up to date. I hunt in North Louisiana and I would love to see how this is resolved.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

here on stateforestland in pa.,everything is being destroyed or stolen..

they are wearing ski masks now before they destroy or steal your treestands in case camera gets picture..

its somehing how they find where you have been in woods and steal ..

most of the reason is the local hunters,like me,had place to themselves forhunting.. now in comes out of state hunters and try to take over area..

i had 3 of them tell me to leave woods this year because they said they were here first..yea right, i have been in that spot for 42 years..

sorry i got off track.. hunters are getting pushed out of their spots and do to lack of deer here in pa..your type of problem is getting normal..

nothing you can do,sad, but most of stands i heard stolen were on privateland..i can understand why, thats where deer are..