HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Trail Cameras (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras-84/)
-   -   SD Cards... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/trail-cameras/159946-sd-cards.html)

jmjuergensen 10-16-2006 10:20 AM

SD Cards...

I just recently purchased a Wildview 2 camera. I had quick question i was hoping someone could help me with. Is a SD Card the same as a the memory cards for an ordinary digital camera or are they different?

For example, could I take the 1 GB memory card out of my wife's digital camera and use it in my trail camera?

Thanks in advance for your help!

gene62 10-16-2006 11:40 AM

RE: SD Cards...

SD is a type of card there is several type cards. Go to walmart to the photo dept. and look at the cards and you will see! a lot of older olympus cameras took sd cards. Sonys took memory stix type and memory stix pro.
there is also aSD micro. newer version

RiverOtter 10-17-2006 07:44 AM

Most of the first digital cameras used either SD (secure digital) or CF (compact flash) cards. They are not compatible with each other. You'd have to figure out what type of card your wife's camera uses...it should say on the card itself if you pull it out of the camera. If it is an SD card, it will work in your game cam. SD cards are pretty inexpensive nowadays. You can get a 1GB card for about $25-30. With your camera (2MP), you'd be able to get a few hundred pictures on a 1GB card.

Justin 10-17-2006 07:58 AM

When you're buying SD cards, or any flash memory for that matter, make sure you get good, name brand stuff like SanDisk. Using cheap memory is a recipe for disaster as they corrupt and eventually go bad much easier and quicker than high quality cards. Just something to keep in mind - you would hate to get 30 or 40 photos only to find out they you can't retrieve them off the card.

Furthermore, the vast majority of digital cameras these days are using SD cards. In fact, you can barely find any new cameras running Compact Flash anymore. When I was looking for cards for my Cuddeback Excite I had a terrible time finding anything less than 1 GB, which are still running in the $80 range per card. Sony has their own proprietary memory, the "Memory Stick", but just about everyone else seems to be on SD or XD cards.

2footroper 10-17-2006 08:24 AM

I agree with Justin. I bought 2 cheap SD cards on ebay and the first one went out within 1 week. The bad thing was the camera said it had 35 photos on it. I never got to see one of those photos. The second one went out yesterday. I got good ones from Tigerdirect.com for less than I payed on ebay.

IL_BOW_MAN 10-17-2006 10:17 AM

Justin, FYI...I just ordered a San Disk 1 GB SD card from Dell when I got my new puter for 45 bucks.

As far as the wildview camera, from what I have read it is a SD card that accepts up to a 512 card. So you might as well now waste the extra on a 1 GB card if you can 't even use it.

doughboysigep 10-17-2006 05:20 PM

I have bought several "off" brand compact flash cards and just got some SD cards. got 3 256 MB SD after markets for $15! (can get 1 name brand 128 MB for that price). for that price, i'll take my chances. I haven't had any problems so far.

Snoogsdad 10-17-2006 08:20 PM

Yes, the Wildview Xtreme II uses an SD card.

doubleA 10-17-2006 08:58 PM

JM...to answer your questions......yes and yes

An SD card is an SD card