Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

doing a lot of research

Old 03-12-2023, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default doing a lot of research

About using over powder wads. Being down in FL for the winter I haven't had the opportunity to test these out but I plan on later this year.
Some of the info I did find out is that besides over powder wads you can also use cotton balls with good success. Also when using patch/ball an over powder patch helps with accuracy. I am going to be doing some testing this year and will be using the same rifle(s) for the tests.
I plan on using my .58 caplock using a known accurate load. I will also do the same with one of my inlines.
I will use no wad, bore size over powder wad (lubed and unlubed), oversized over powder wad(lubed and unlubed), cotton ball , over powder patch. Naturally this is going to take several outings to the range so it will be some time before complete. I'll share my results once the test is complete.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting times ahead Bronko. I love playing around with stuff like that. I'll be looking forward to your reports. You might also consider dumping some corn meal or grits between the powder and patched ball. Also, with the cotton balls, you might try squirting some with Liquid Wrench and squeezing them in a paper towel to take up any excess oil.

Did you see my Hefty Hawken report on Modern Muzzleloader?

Last edited by Semisane; 03-13-2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

No I didn't Van. I'll go check it out.
And as far as the grits - I'd rather eat them!
Old 03-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

I too will look forward to seeing your results. I have reported in the past that I have had accuracy improvement when using an over powder wad (un-lubed) in a gun that had some erosion in the breech area. I would ask that you also state the depth and type of the rifling in your test gun, and the twist rate.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:49 PM
Spike

Bronko, will you be punching out your own wads or purchasing lubed and dry wads? I've been thinking about using over powder wads and wondering if different wad material would produce different results in accuracy. I'll also be watching for your results.