Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Help please

Old 03-09-2021, 03:49 AM
Spike

Default Help please

I was giving some concord bullet and was told just fill in the grooves other bullet with wax and I don't need a patch between power and bullet is that right the bullets are

Hornady Great Plains Bullets but the lube dried out on them so can I lube them with wax?

Last edited by 1fool; 03-09-2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Do NOT Use Wax ! Wax will make a mess of your barrel . Buy a tube of Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000 . You can use it to lube your bullets and season your barrel.

It is non petroleum based so it doesn't react to the black powder or Pyrodex . The wax will burn and crust up your barrel.. When you are done cleaning your muzzleloader run a patch with TC 1000 on it to put a thin protective coat in the barrel to prevent any rust . This is the material you use to recoat bullets. Not wax !
Im sure you can find this at your local gun store or Walmart .

https://www.opticsplanet.com/thompso...-tube-5oz.html
Old 03-09-2021, 05:21 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

Thank you for your help I will some of that lube .
so do you need a patch with lube bullets or does the lube by it self???
Old 03-09-2021, 07:09 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

Thank you for your help I will some of that lube .
so do you need a patch with lube bullets or does the lube by it self??? And what about patch size for a 54cal
Old 03-09-2021, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

You do not need a patch with those bullets. Just the lube .
Old 03-10-2021, 03:35 AM
Spike

Default Patchs

I was told to use a 3" patch for my 54cal but that seems a little big. Is this right??
Old 03-10-2021, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Do I just apply the lube with my fingers? And how much lube? Can I Melt the bore butter and pour it in a pan with my bullets and let to cool??

To answer your question above that you sent me a Private Message : You use your finger . Clean off all the old dried up lube off your bullets then apply the new layer of Natural Lube 1000 around the bullet. and make sure all the grooves are filled . Thats all you need to do. There is no need to cake it on. There is no need for a patch around the bullet. The grooves lock into the rifling of the barrel . Thats the way that bullet is meant to work.

The 3 inch patch is what to use for cleaning the barrel. Has nothing to do with the bullet.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:17 AM
Spike

Default Thanks

OK thank you so much as very helpful.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you still have the lube on the bullets and its dried out just rub some Crisco or vegetable shortening on the bullets. It will lube the bullet as well as soften up the existing lube.