Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Videos - Firing India Bess with American Pioneer 3F >

Videos - Firing India Bess with American Pioneer 3F

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Videos - Firing India Bess with American Pioneer 3F

Old 10-04-2020, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Videos - Firing India Bess with American Pioneer 3F

There's a fellow on youtube who loaded American Pioneer Powder 3F into the bore of his India made flintlock and using Goex 4F in the pan, he fired 15 shots without a misfire.
After I posted about this on another forum, someone replied that he tried it and it worked in his flintlock too.
It may also depend on the efficiency of the vent and other factors so it may not work for every gun.

The caption for the video states: "Trying out some new powder, touted as a clean burning black powder substitute. I've read a huge difference of opinion about this powder, and several people flatly state that it will NOT work in a flintlock.

Well, here you have it. I fired 10 shots of varying powder charge, all lead ball, and not one misfire or failure to discharge. I think the FFFg is the right choice, the grain size is bigger than regular black powder, so having the FFFg probably helped with ignition here. Also, prime the pan with NORMAL black powder, it's not a big deal and doesn't make a big mess.
Clean up was a breeze and nearly zero fouling. Very happy."

The next 9 second video was posted by the same fellow 2 days later.

The caption states: "This is I think the 8th shot out of the musket without swabbing, cleaning or lube of any kind.

After 15 shots the barrel still looked 'brand new', this powder seems consistent and reliable, not a single misfire that day.
....also at 20 paces we hit the crock-pot every time.. .71 lead ball with paper cartridge wadding."

Last edited by arcticap; 10-04-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:14 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Ya know. I by far am no expert. But the Gold Shockey 2f did wonders in my black powder muzzy shotguns. I really liked it far better than the Pyrodex I used in the past.
Was real easy to clean.
JW