Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
New Green Mountain .50 Cal Roundball Barrel Test >

New Green Mountain .50 Cal Roundball Barrel Test

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

New Green Mountain .50 Cal Roundball Barrel Test

Old 10-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Green Mountain .50 Cal Roundball Barrel Test

I just got my new .50 Cal Roundball Twist (1:70) Green Mountain Barrel, This is an Old Stock GM IBS Barrel (Interchangeable Barrel System) The Barrel came disassembled and in the White, I spent most of a Day tinkering with it (Degreasing, Blueing, fitting etc.) I have this Bore Polished to a MIRROR Finish. She was ready for a Trip to the Sand Pit This is the Roundball Rifle i will be Testing some SERIOUS Distance with

Target is about 80 Yards here

5 Shots

When i say this Bore is GLASS Smooth, it most DEFINITELY is!! Bore pics are tough, But I think you will see what i mean here, You Simply Cannot get a Bore any more Silky Smooth than i have this one

Patches look awful, But it Shot good? This was 70 Grains by Weight of Swiss 2F, This powder is VERY noticeably Hotter than Goex, But I wouldn’t think 70 Grains is to much?
Old 10-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Is there a more Durable Patch Material than this? In the .015-.018 Range? Twill, Linen? Even though the Group was good, it stil bothers me that these Patches are Ragging like this
Old 10-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lewis are those patches prelubed? If so that could be part of the problem. The lube may be deteriorating the material.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Great Shooting Lew! I can only imagine how many hours you spent on getting that bbl ready. But from your initial grouping with it, you can tell you did a fantastic Job!
Old 10-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Lewis are those patches prelubed? If so that could be part of the problem. The lube may be deteriorating the material.
in the video he says they are lubed with his skunk lube
Old 10-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Idaholewis
Is there a more Durable Patch Material than this? In the .015-.018 Range? Twill, Linen? Even though the Group was good, it stil bothers me that these Patches are Ragging like this
With a group like that, the condition of the patches would not bother me at all. Try Denim for a more durable patch material. The stuff I bought at my local JoAnn Fabric store was dark blue and measured 0.020. But they also has some white Demim that seemed to be thinner (by touch) though I didn't measure it.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Nice grouping!! Very impressive with PRB.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I went Shopping today Fella’s, Have Calipers, Will Travel

My absolute FAVORITE Looking, and Feeling of the 5 Materials i got today is Pocket Drill, That stuff is SUPER TIGHT Weave, you can tell it’s Really Durable Stuff. It measures exactly .018 the same as the Blue Stripe Ticking. I got .015 and .018 Pocket Drill, White Denim on the Far left at .020

Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

I plan to test several different things here, Square Patches, Cut at the Muzzle, Short vs Long Etc. This Patched Roundball was an Overlooked Game to me, This stuff is a LOT of Fun I am excited to get out and See just how Far i can get a Patched Roundball to go and Catch on Target? I have 325 MOA at my Disposal here

What’s not to love about this Stuff? They are DARN Accurate!! I have 3 Dedicated Roundball Rifles Now that will Shoot as good as my BEST Bullet Rifles. They are Cheap to Shoot, Hardly any Recoil, it’s a WIN WIN Game if you love to Shoot Blackpowder!! I’m not giving up on my Bullet Rifles by ANY MEANS, Just stating a Fact that this Darn Patched Roundball is a LOT of Fun! This is WELCOME break from Getting KICKED on with 450 to 550 Grain Bullets
Old 10-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter

in the video he says they are lubed with his skunk lube
I didn't have the sound on the video as I watched it late when wife was sleeping. I was wondering if he had bought them lubed. If they sat too long the lube could weaken the material. They look like they're pretty burned up. Maybe not enough lube?
Lewis I use the blue pillow tick material from WalMart. Get yourself a fabric cutter (looks like a roller) and a cutting mat. It will save you a lot of time and save your fingers from the scissors. And you'll get nice neatly cut patches if you use some type of thin straight edge.
Be extremely careful with that roller because they are super sharp. You can cut through about 4 layers of that material easily.

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-04-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.