HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   325 Yard Patched Roundball in Wind (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/421754-325-yard-patched-roundball-wind.html)

Idaholewis 09-13-2019 03:00 PM

325 Yard Patched Roundball in Wind

I couldn’t resist, had to play at longer distance with the Lyman GP .54 Cal Patched Ball, Lubed with GENUINE SKUNK, SUPER SKUNK that is :), Target is my LARGE 20” Steel Plate, 1/2” Thick AR500, This Thing is HEAVY, like 60 pounds, The 230 Grain ball is NOT gonna Swing this, But you can hear the Hits. I pack this CHUNK of Steel up the Hill and get setup, the Winds Starts in, What's a Guy to do? SEND EM!! :D

Idaholewis 09-13-2019 03:16 PM

On to 500 Yards, I Need a DEAD CALM Morning for it. I am determined to find where the Ball say’s i Quit :D This 230 Grain .535 Diameter Ball from my .54 would stil be LETHAL at 325 Yards from what i seen. No one should EVER attempt such a thing on Game Though!!! But if i were in a Fire Fight up there this evening at 325 Yards, i would have Shot my way out of it and made it home :cool2:

edmehlig 09-13-2019 06:48 PM

Lew, that is unbelievable! Especially with that wind, I’m surprised you were even able to hit the target without it being blown off target. What is even more impressive is how flat those bullets flatten. Your right I think they would be deadly on deer.

Idaholewis 09-13-2019 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by edmehlig (Post 4361189)
Lew, that is unbelievable! Especially with that wind, I’m surprised you were even able to hit the target without it being blown off target. What is even more impressive is how flat those bullets flatten. Your right I think they would be deadly on deer.

When i left it was PERFECTLY Calm, And it Stayed that way til i packed that 60 Pound Chunk of Steel up the Hill and Hung it on the Stand. On my way back down to my Truck the Wind Started Blowing, GO FIGURE :rolleye0011: I hoped it would Stop, NOPE it kept getting Worse. It takes a LOT of Work to Set this stuff up, Then Have to leave without Firing a Shot (I’ve had to do that several times) I decided to Throw Caution to the Wind :) And GO WITH IT. I fired at the Calmest points i could Feel

After the 2 Shots on Steel, the Wind Became unbearably bad, i Started Packing my stuff up, the Wind was blowing my Things off the Tailgate of my Truck. My gun was loaded, The Wind was Back n Forth, I decided to unload my Gun, i Took another Pop Shot at my Target (Off Camera, it was put away in my Truck) I missed, I didn’t hear the Gong Come back? I get up the Hill and Start Taking my Target Down, That is when I Seen this

3rd shot off Camera, Hit High (BAD WIND) Hit my 2X4 Hanger

It Blew Through the 2X4 Hanger, Remember that Old Blown Down Tree Behind my Target? The Ball is BURIED in it! I can see the Hole, But Not the Ball, it’s gonna take tools to get it out, i will get it next time I’m up there :)

edmehlig 09-14-2019 03:54 AM

That is pretty impressive penetration . I wonder what the velocity/energy was at that distance?

Fyrstyk54 09-14-2019 04:19 AM

I used to belong to a club in VT where we often shot at a full sized buffalo steel target at 500 yards as a tie breaker on our trail walks. Most everyone used patched round ball, and once you got the range down, you could hit the buffalo pretty regularly. I recall, that I had a spot on the hillside in the back ground behind the target that I used as a aiming point. I swear that I was aiming at leats 50 feet above the target, but I am only guessing. If the wind wasn't blowing, I could hit that buffalo 6 out of 10 times.

Idaholewis 09-14-2019 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fyrstyk54 (Post 4361194)
I used to belong to a club in VT where we often shot at a full sized buffalo steel target at 500 yards as a tie breaker on our trail walks. Most everyone used patched round ball, and once you got the range down, you could hit the buffalo pretty regularly. I recall, that I had a spot on the hillside in the back ground behind the target that I used as a aiming point. I swear that I was aiming at leats 50 feet above the target, but I am only guessing. If the wind wasn't blowing, I could hit that buffalo 6 out of 10 times.

I am looking forward to 500 Yard Patched Roundball :cool2: After Yesterday’s 325 Yard adventure, i was Confident Enough to say it in the video that i felt i can do 500 Yards. I will start that on a BIG Official size Target for Sight adjustment, and Accuracy, If Accuracy is good enough? I will move to the Gong and Video it. If accuracy is Horrible, i will Scratch it and Forget about it.

I have a Another Roundball Barrel in the Works, Hope to have it soon, and a Sight with a MOUNTAIN of Minutes :D I will see just what a Roundball is actually Capable of? All in fun of course

Idaholewis 09-14-2019 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by edmehlig (Post 4361193)
That is pretty impressive penetration . I wonder what the velocity/energy was at that distance?

That is the Part that AMAZES me, I wouldn’t have thought a Roundball would do this? I’m waiting for the “Haters” to Show up, That I’m giving folks the Wrong idea etc. That it’s ok to Shoot at Game this Far? That is NOT the Case!! Anyone that knows me, knows that I ABSOLUTELY disagree with Long Range Hunting, and that includes Centerfire. If there were a Petition to sign to STOP it, My name would be the FIRST on it! And as ALL of you guy’s can Clearly see, i am VERY capable of Of killing animals at ULTRA LONG Range, But it is ABSOLUTELY UNETHICAL and a Chicken Cr@p Thing to do. It shows ZERO respect for the Animals we Hunt, We owe it to them to Take them as Cleanly, and Swiftly as we possibly Can

As for velocity, and energy, Only 1 way to Find out, A calm day, Slip a Few over the Chronograph :D I want to gather a Decent amount of 300 Yard Bullet Data First Through my Mountaineer, I have full confidence getting over the Graph with it, After i get what i want, i will Toss the Chronograph in Harms Way and Send some Long Range Roundball over it :cool2:

Fyrstyk54 09-14-2019 08:35 AM

The biggest thing with shoot long range with the PRB is to know the exact distance. Being off by only a few yards will cause a miss. At the 500 yard target I was shooting at in VT, you could recover the balls at the base of the target. You could see by the bullet splashes on the steel buffalo that the ball was coming down at a pretty steep angle. Definitely not something to try on a live game animal. That would be very irresponsible and UN-sportsman like.

bronko22000 09-15-2019 03:43 PM

That was darn good considering you hit the steel on both shots. How in the world did you know how much elevation go give your peep for that shot? Or did you just take a wild guess?