HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   45 cal green mountain barre (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/421371-45-cal-green-mountain-barre.html)

steviebiggun 07-24-2019 06:21 PM

45 cal green mountain barre

He guys and gals, I was just cleaning out the gun safe and found a 45 cal lrh green mountain barrel i purchased many years ago for my Thomson center renegade, never did put it on, just shoved it back in the safe and forgot about it. Just wondering what it might be worth, and if their is still a market for something like this ?

Idaholewis 07-24-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by steviebiggun (Post 4358597)
He guys and gals, I was just cleaning out the gun safe and found a 45 cal lrh green mountain barrel i purchased many years ago for my Thomson center renegade, never did put it on, just shoved it back in the safe and forgot about it. Just wondering what it might be worth, and if their is still a market for something like this ?

Yep there is DEFINITELY stil a Market for them, Is yours Blued or Stainless? Is it 1” or 15/16” Across the Flats? Blued Barrels in new, like new Condition run in the 200-250 Range, A Stainless might fetch 300

I have several of these Barrels, .45, .50, and even 1 .54 LRH, When in a Hawken, or a Renegade Stock, and Setup with a Tang Peep sight and Globe Front sight, they are 1 of my VERY Favorite Muzzleloaders

bronko22000 07-25-2019 02:06 PM

Yes sir. They're worth a good buck. I've seen them on Ebay for over $300. Everyone is obsessed with the .50 cal since the movie Jeremiah Johnson but those in the know enjoy shooting those GM fast twist .45 cal barrels.

edmehlig 07-25-2019 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4358628)
Yes sir. They're worth a good buck. I've seen them on Ebay for over $300. Everyone is obsessed with the .50 cal since the movie Jeremiah Johnson but those in the know enjoy shooting those GM fast twist .45 cal barrels.

Amazing how many of us are in the know!!

sabotloader 07-28-2019 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4358628)

You know I was going to say the GM drop-in LRH in 45 is not really a fast twist barrel but then again it if you are comparing it to the PRB 45 cal. barrels, it really is. The GM LRH is a 1-30 twist which is not really that fast as compared to the demand for faster twist 45 barrels of today...

Idaholewis 07-28-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4358691)
You know I was going to say the GM drop-in LRH in 45 is not really a fast twist barrel but then again it if you are comparing it to the PRB 45 cal. barrels, it really is. The GM LRH is a 1-30 twist which is not really that fast as compared to the demand for faster twist 45 barrels of today...

I have always wondered why Green Mountain chose 1:30 Twist for their .45 Cal LRH when Their .50 and .54 Cal LRH is 1:28 Twist? Why change the .45 Cal? The .54 LRH would have made the most sense

I have 3 of these 1:30 Twist GM .45 LRH Barrels, A Recently acquired Stainless, and 2 Blued. I have shot 1 of my Blued Barrels a TON, It has always shot DARN GOOD for me!! That said, My 1:20s Outshoot the 30 Twist

sabotloader 07-29-2019 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Idaholewis (Post 4358692)

I have always wondered why Green Mountain chose 1:30 Twist for their .45 Cal LRH when Their .50 and .54 Cal LRH is 1:28 Twist? Why change the .45 Cal? The .54 LRH would have made the most sense

The biggest reason GM went with the 1-30 twist was because of the bullets and the sabots available at that time. The torque created by the faster twist rate was just to fast for the Polymer sabots of the time to handle - so they would destroy themselves in the bore. Accuracy was terrible With the creation of the new Polymer formulas that has really strengthened the sabot they can with stand the twist.

This picture show a recovered White Power Star sabot recovered after shooting...

I have 3 of these 1:30 Twist GM .45 LRH Barrels, A Recently acquired Stainless, and 2 Blued. I have shot 1 of my Blued Barrels a TON, It has always shot DARN GOOD for me!! That said, My 1:20s Outshoot the 30 Twist

Idaholewis 07-30-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4358701)
The biggest reason GM went with the 1-30 twist was because of the bullets and the sabots available at that time. The torque created by the faster twist rate was just to fast for the Polymer sabots of the time to handle - so they would destroy themselves in the bore. Accuracy was terrible With the creation of the new Polymer formulas that has really strengthened the sabot they can with stand the twist.

Ok, this makes GOOD Sense why, I have always wondered? I know almost NOTHING about Sabots, That is 1 area i have NEVER played in, to try and learn anyway, I have shot a Few over the last few years, But VERY Few. I never could get interested in them? It’s FULL Bore ALL the Way for me! I don’t like that “Link” Between the Powder and Bullet. I will say the ones that Chet and i Shot in his new Knight U-Lite were Very Accurate, iirc they were called 260 Dead Centers?

sabotloader 07-30-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Idaholewis (Post 4358782)

Ok, this makes GOOD Sense why, I have always wondered? I know almost NOTHING about Sabots, That is 1 area i have NEVER played in, to try and learn anyway, I have shot a Few over the last few years, But VERY Few. I never could get interested in them? It’s FULL Bore ALL the Way for me! I don’t like that “Link” Between the Powder and Bullet. I will say the ones that Chet and i Shot in his new Knight U-Lite were Very Accurate, iirc they were called 260 Dead Centers?

Or were they the Lehigh .458x260 Sabotless that I gave him.

Idaholewis 07-31-2019 03:34 AM

No, they were DEFINITELY Sabots, But I was actually wrong, We didn’t shoot those in His new U-Lite, We shot the Dead Center Saboted Bullets in the Ole White Super 91 that i Traded Chet, We Shot my 350 Grain Lead Conicals in the New Knight U-Lite (Bullets i poured from Forum member Harleysbosses Mold)

I Remember we didn’t feel like we had enough of the Lehigh bullets you sent for Load development, and for Chet to Bear Hunt with. That is why we went with my Full Bore Lead, i had LOTS of those.