Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

GOEX vs. Swiss

Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I noticed it and i'm about to buy some powder. I think i'll try Goex 3F this time.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Never tried the FFFg in Swiss. I don't get into pistol muzzle loaders and it's mainly for them. I know it says the 3f for .45cal and lower in rifles and for pistols but I found the 2f to be more than sufficient in power and consistency. I think the old man tried the 3f in his .45 and wasn't pleased but he used 3f swiss exclusively in his .32cal squirrel rifle, which he sold several years back without telling me first the old fart, and was quite pleased with it then. Swiss measurement is a bit smaller than American standard. If you compare the actual granules side by side with goex you can see the difference with the naked eye. Now Old Eynsford by goex is different. It is actually closer to swiss than any other American made powder in every way. Power, cleanliness, and consistency. I tested it out a couple of years ago and almost made the switch but I'm a hard man to change. I find something I like, it takes a pretty good bit of convincing to change my ways.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be trying 3F in a .54. I've a couple in that caliber that liked 3F better than 2F. 3F does have some advantages over 2F. It flows better into the flame channel. It ignites easier. It has less fouling. You can use less for the same fps which reduces fouling even more. All for the same price. Good bang for the buck.