Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

My 2018 Mule Deer Hunt

Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2018 Mule Deer Hunt

My son Jacob and I draw the same deer tag every year. The Hunt is short and he never can hunt more than just one weekend. What I normally do is hunt for a buck until the day before he gets there. The day before he gets there I just try to fill my tag with what ever I see. That way we can focus on finding him a buck. He only has 2 or 3 days to hunt. If I shoot a deer on one of his days he looses a day helping me pack out a deer.

The weather this year was very nice. I hiked into some ridges that are above the river. I saw a ton of deer.

This year he got there on Thursday and I had been holding out for a buck I found but never got a shot at. I took a doe so I could help him to try to get the buck.

This year was a good year for seeing bucks. It was not a good year for Jacob's shooting. His first shot was 125 yards steep down hill. He shot right over the bucks back.

The next one was 50 yards in heavy brush. I saw his bullet strike a twig and the buck was lucky.
We spent a couple days riding our bikes to walk in areas and having the time of our lives.

On the last day Jacob decided to take the first deer he had a shot at. We found a single do and Jacob got a shot at her.

I really wished he would have got a buck but I enjoyed my week of hunting. It was great to see a lot of deer and elk. We even saw a pretty good bear. Over all the hunt was fun and we enjoyed it like every year.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buck ----- Doe, who cares? Meat is meat and fun is fun. (Yeah, but we all want a buck for some silly reason. )
Old 12-14-2018, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a great time with your son. Hoping I can do the same one day.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

That is a fantastic trip! Great job, thanks for sharing the photos with us

-Jake
Old 12-14-2018, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the two deer taken with conventional muzzleloaders.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys it is a hunt I look forward to every year.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations gentlemen on a great trip. Spending time outdoors with your son is great even if you don't get anything.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
Thanks guys it is a hunt I look forward to every year.
Congrats to both of you Ron! It's great that you and Jacob both harvested a deer and enjoyed a hunt together. As always, I really enjoy your pics... not only are you a great hunter, you're a great photographer as well! May you and yours have a happy and healthy holiday season.

BPS
Old 12-22-2018, 05:39 AM
Spike

What about the bike? Yr, make, etc. Dont see many 2 wheelers anymore. Some trails in Colorado allow 2 wheels but no 4 wheels. I have horses but its become a big hassle. May look into 2 wheels...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.