Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
A Dozen Shots With The .50 TC/GM Renegade >

A Dozen Shots With The .50 TC/GM Renegade

Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

A Dozen Shots With The .50 TC/GM Renegade

Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Dozen Shots With The .50 TC/GM Renegade

I had an interesting shooting session yesterday I thought I'd share with you guys.

One of the guns I plan to use this deer season is my TC Renegade with a .50 caliber Green Mountain Long Range Hunter barrel. I haven't shot this gun in the last few years and thought (but wasn't sure) that it was sighted in for 240 grain/.429 Deep Curls. Also, I'd never shot it beyond 100 yards and wanted to verify trajectory out to 150 yards because that's the distance to the back end of one of my food plots.

The day was beautiful - sunny and low humidity. But the wind was a little more than I would have liked, persistent and squirrely.

My plan was to take two shots at 25 yards to verify that the scope was set for the load I was shooting (it was), then take two shots at each 25 yard interval out to 150 yards. That's what I did.

Here's the gun.

And here's the target.

Now here's the interesting thing. I was shooting a 95 grain load which produces an average velocity of just under 1650 fps with that bullet. Looking through my files I found I had an old ballistic chart for that bullet that I'd printed a few years back using the Ballistic Calculator at Handloaders.com. That chart was for a velocity of 1600 fps (close enough?). Here's the chart. You can compare it to the real world results yourself. As for me - I've always been impressed by how close the results of that calculator are to my shooting results with various loads and guns.

Here's a link to the calculator. http://handloads.com/calc/index.html

Last edited by Semisane; 11-04-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

How do you determine the Ballistic Coefficient?
Is that something that Speer provides on a factory chart or spec. sheet of some sort?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Arcticap, the calculator at the link computes a BC when you enter the bullet diameter, weight and shape.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks to me like you're good for a dead center hold out to 125 yard Semi. But you better hold top of back at 150. Looks like you're good to go - so good luck.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I was happy with the results, especially considering the wind conditions during the shoot. I was trying to time my shots between gusts. But when it was somewhat still at the bench the target board would be shaking in the wind. Then when the target board was still, the wind at the bench was strong enough that I couldn't leave any sabots out of the package. If I left them loose on the bench the wind would blow them to the ground.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-06-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well that was pretty windy. Its amazing you shot that well!
I'm in the process of playing with my .45 T/C Hawken/GM LRH deciding what to shoot. My paper patched bullets shoot good (370 grs) and so do Ed's 350 gr bullets.
And in speaking with Ed about his bullets and him telling me what mold it is and that he sizes them down to .452 from .458 I thought well if that's the case and before I invest in another mold, I'm going to resize some of my 405 gr. .458 bullets down to .451 and see how they shoot. I already have the mold and the sizer die. I already size them down to .451 and paper patch them for my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lookin forward to your results with those .458/405's. Are they from the Lee mold? How do they do in the Sharps?
Old 11-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Lookin forward to your results with those .458/405's. Are they from the Lee mold? How do they do in the Sharps?
Check out my post on reloading. 3 shots at 55 yards (with all the rain I couldn't set the target at 50 because of a huge puddle) 0.75" C-C. Not too bad with open sights.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Van, I would sell that POS Renegade if I got groups like that! Let me know if you want to sell it some day.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Van, I would sell that POS Renegade if I got groups like that! Let me know if you want to sell it some day.
Ed you wouldn't want that Renegade the way he ruined it by putting a scope on it! And if I recall he has another one just like it somewhere and calls them the sinful sisters!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.