HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Grins and Giggles with Two Barrels and Big Balls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/418546-grins-giggles-two-barrels-big-balls.html)

Semisane 07-15-2018 07:29 PM

Grins and Giggles with Two Barrels and Big Balls

First you buy a gun you didn’t need.

Then buy a mold and cast some nice shiny balls.

Then fabricate a crude temporary peep sight out of a plastic bottle cap.

And stick it on the gun with a little dab of hot glue.

That should work!

Then find a big piece of cardboard for a target backer and stick it out at 25 yards on the hunting club rifle range.

Then load both barrels with 75 grains GOEX FFg and a pillow tick patch around the balls (lubed with my “traditional” Liquid Wrench), and take two shots from the bench.

DANG!, I should have made the hole in that down & dirty peep a little closer to the barrel. OK, let’s take two more shots.

Wow. Both barrels came together. I wonder if the fouled bore was responsible. Let’s try two more shots.

OK, that’s not too bad. Not great, but not horrible. Let’s go with two more.

Hey! That’s starting to look like a group. :D By now the temperature is somewhere above 90-degrees and the humidity ain’t far behind. Even in a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops I’m sweating so much my underwear is soaked and I have to wipe my eyes every thirty seconds. But I just have to shoot one more final round. Here it is.

Well guys. That’s it for me. The fun has totally gone out of this session. Lets go find some patches.

They’re in pretty sad shape.

Next time out I’ll have to try some thick greasy patch lube or maybe a wad over the powder. But not today! It’s time to head to my little hooch in the camp ground for some air conditioning and a cold beer.

bronko22000 07-16-2018 02:45 PM

Heck Semi that ain't too awful bad. You may just want to get a piece of 1/4" flat stock and put a "V" notch on one end and the a 90* bend about 1/8" off the barrel. I bet that would put you right on the mark. (or at least all around it!) And if it worked you could epoxy it in place.
On the flip side, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to get smacked with one of those balls! Well over an ounce of lead...ouch. That would leave a mark and a half.

Semisane 07-16-2018 03:27 PM

Right on Bronko. The plan at this point is to play around with loads and, if I find something that really works, fabricate a permanent sight to suit the load. I can work with my bottle top and hot glue approach to find the right style, height and location for a permanent one.

My plan Sunday morning was to shoot five two-barrel sets out of that double, then experiment with your paper patched bullets in the 1:30 Renegade. I just didn't have the fortitude for the second half of that plan. The heat and humidity really beat this old shooter's butt.

bronko22000 07-16-2018 05:53 PM

I know what you mean old friend. I was shooting in a T shirt the past two times and the recoil was causing the butt plate to move my shirt across my skin. I had a major rug burn on my shoulder that was bad enough that it scabbed up a day or two later. Never noticed it while shooting not until I got in the shower and the water hit it. (just unfortunate for me that both times it was on Saturday, the day I take my weekly shower for Sunday church!)

edmehlig 07-17-2018 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4338371)
I know what you mean old friend. I was shooting in a T shirt the past two times and the recoil was causing the butt plate to move my shirt across my skin. I had a major rug burn on my shoulder that was bad enough that it scabbed up a day or two later. Never noticed it while shooting not until I got in the shower and the water hit it. (just unfortunate for me that both times it was on Saturday, the day I take my weekly shower for Sunday church!)

Weekly Saturday Shower??? You must be one of those clean freaks! I take my showers on the 4th Saturday of every month whether I need it or not! :biggrin: I hear ya about the heat and humidity. It's been too hot for me to go out and shoot. I hope it gets a little cooler soon, I'd like to get out this Saturday.

Semisane 07-17-2018 01:20 PM

I played around with the final target just to make myself feel a little better. :s2:

bronko22000 07-17-2018 02:03 PM

And another plus is you can still re-use the same target cause there ain't any holes in it...LOL
Reminds me of one of my old friends that wasn't a very good shot. He bought a pack of 50 shoot-n-c targets at Bass Pro one time. I told him he purchased a lifetime supply.

hunters_life 07-17-2018 06:38 PM

After you get your sight figured out, you will want to see what range the barrels are regulated at. All my dad's doubles were pretty much at the same impact point at 100 yards. That being a shotgun I'd have to guess it's probably at the most 50 with more than likely 35 yards. I love most of his old doubles, especially the European ones, but there were a couple that would make an elephant drop from the butt end. A mule kick would be a flea bite in comparison. I do like that red neck engineering for your peep. It really cracked the wife up. Said it looks like something I'd do.

Semisane 07-17-2018 06:45 PM

I do like that red neck engineering for your peep. It really cracked the wife up.
Well that made my day. My goal is to crack up at least one person each day.

bronko22000 07-18-2018 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4338462)
I do like that red neck engineering for your peep. It really cracked the wife up. Said it looks like something I'd do.

HL..you haven't see nothing yet. He has posted several unique ideas already prior to you joining our forum. His mind is always working. Sometimes however it does run in reverse or idles in neutral for a while. But its always running.