Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Flintlock Build

Old 04-27-2018, 08:55 AM
Banned

Default Flintlock Build

And this time... Its MINE!

Going to stripe the living hell out of the stock, make it a lighter brown, then lay down stripes.

For the metal trim, I will french blue it. Basically cold blue the steel parts, then take bleach soaked paper towels, wrap the barrel and let it go to work on a nice gray/blue aged look. Mustard I heard is another way of doing this.

I will also polish the lock and trigger works, bed the tang,trigger and the entire barrel channel.

Rear sight will be replaced with something solid. I most likely will use what CVA used on their bobcat model, just open up the slit a little to let more light in and she'll be good.

I also have a new way to age brass that I want to try out with vinegar and ammonia, so we will have some fun there and hope the brass is still there when I open it up. About a 2-3 day process.

Also going to look into thinning the lock panel a bit. Just thrown off by the cut out behind the hammer.

A little brass tacking here and there perhaps?

Mountain Rifle .50cal 1:48 twist.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 08-10-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Spike

looks like a job I would not do.good luck.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

good luck .
Old 05-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've a hankerin for a .58 cal flintlock. And at our last meeting I found a fellow Hunter Education instructor that builds muzzys. I'm going to have a heart to heart talk with him next time I see him and see how much it would cost to build me one. Turns out he likes .58s too.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

MountainDevil54, for the aging part and using mustard, it's not the mustard but the vinegar in the mustard or rather the amount of vinegar. Straight vinegar will do well but it can be a bit tricky and can go much further than you want way faster than expected. It's really dependent on the type of bluing you are trying to effect and even the type of vinegar you are using as well. If you do decide to use vinegar, I would suggest you cut it with distilled water to raise the PH to around 4.5. Most vinegar's are around 2-3PH and fairly acidic. This is still something you will need to babysit like a $50 steak on the grill. If you have experience with other aging practices/products and find you do well with them I personally would stick to it. Vinegar based products for aging can be just too unpredictable and quite frankly a major pain in the butt.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Well, I have some time till she comes in. Its shipping out tomorrow!

Jackie Brown recommended cold bluing it, then wrapping paper towels around it that are soaked in bleach and let that sit on it for a little while and it will give it a nice aged look.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Banned

Shes in!

Already have the lock in place and 98% finished inletting the trigger into its spot. You have to pay attention and make minor adjustments with the tang hole ( enlarge it so the screw wiggles into the correct spot ) then slightly egg out the trigger inlet so the spring does not hang up on the wood.

Very happy with the wood as well on the stock. It has some nice pattern in the wrist, on top of the stock and under the forearm. Lots of the gold nuggets splattered throughout the wood as well.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned

I was told by a fellow... It only takes a few minutes to shape a lock panel.. MmmmmHmmmm, when YOU'RE not the one doing the work! I will most likely have 3 hours just into shaping the lock panel by the time this is all said and done. NOT a fun thing to do! The rifle kit did go together extremely nicely though. All the hard work has been knocked out except for finishing this lock panel.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-27-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Dad always did my stocks for me. I'm somewhat skilled at it but I had nowhere near his talent for woodwork. But I do remember quite well that very same gripe about lock panels. If I remember correctly, he fashioned some tools specifically for it that seemed to make his life much easier. Something about radius vs. flats or some such. He always made his stocks from a blank but did send them to a friend of his to drill the rod hole and have the retainer set in. He said something about not having a long enough drill bit or length guide to do it perfectly. He still has 2 blanks of Turkish Walnut to drop the twins 7mm-08's when they grow out of the ones currently in use.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Banned

decided to do an aged look! With the french gray barrel & trim finish I want to do, I really wanted to make it pop.

Looks similar to this, but my stripes are a lot closer and darker.

Last edited by JW; 11-30-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.