HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Opinions on Trade offer - Older Lyman Trade rifle for Newer PA Pellet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/416732-opinions-trade-offer-older-lyman-trade-rifle-newer-pa-pellet.html)

bigmikew 01-02-2018 06:31 PM

Opinions on Trade offer - Older Lyman Trade rifle for Newer PA Pellet

New forum member here. Just been into the muzzleloader/flintlock scene for a couple of years now. Hooked!

Have a Pedersoli Cub 36 kit on the way, and currently own a PA Pellet Accelerator 50 by Traditions. Bought last year, 35 shots through it.

I've got a gentleman on another group I'm a part of who would like to trade his 16 year old Lyman Trade Rifle with about 100 rounds through it for my Pellet.

I know Lyman seems to have a better reputation on some forums than Traditions, but can someone give me their thoughts? My Pellet shoots fine, but am I missing something if I pass on the Lyman trade? I got my Pellet at a great price, new(sub $275) so would I be trading up if I went for the deal. I've only shot my gun, so no other rifles to compare to.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might offer.

Mike

Semisane 01-02-2018 08:42 PM

It's all a matter of condition and how and gun fits you.

I would say; "Lets go to the range together. You shoot mine and I'll shoot yours. Then we can both decide if we want to trade."

bigmikew 01-03-2018 04:23 AM

I agree on the method of trading and checking the condition of each gun. My question maybe should have been, condition being equal, how much better is the Lyman Trade Rifle than a PA Pellet?

Thanks for taking the time to give input.

Mike

bronko22000 01-03-2018 06:23 AM

Both of the same condition I'd definitely take the Lyman over the Traditions. But that's my opinion.

GoexBlackhorn 01-03-2018 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4324529)
Both of the same condition I'd definitely take the Lyman over the Traditions. But that's my opinion.

Agree wholeheartedly!
If both of them are telling the truth about shots fired, I would get that deal done pronto, before the Lyman owner changes his mind. But check that Lyman over very closely. Look for obvious rust, barrel flaws, even a cracked stock, broken trigger.....etc.

GOOD OLE BOY 01-03-2018 01:23 PM

Also realize the Trade Rifle has no removable breechplug and cannot shoot pellets.

Blackpowdersmoke 01-04-2018 06:06 AM

I agree with bronko and Goex, providing that Lyman is a clean gun. They're better quality than Traditions and will hold their value. Are you swapping flint for flint? Lyman locks are much better quality than Traditions.

BPS

bigmikew 01-06-2018 02:33 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check it over well before making a decision.

They are both flintlocks, his is just older than mine, or so the story goes. Mine definitely has less than 40 rounds through it.

Any suggestions on looking through bore of his since the breech can't be removed?

Thanks,
Mike

Semisane 01-07-2018 05:27 PM

Here are two options. The Super Ray is available at O'Reilly Auto Parts stores for about ten bucks. The bobber light is available almost anywhere fishing tackle is sold, including Walmart, for about three bucks. Drop either one down the bore and you will be able to inspect it pretty well.

bigmikew 01-10-2018 04:58 AM

Thanks Semisane. I'll check for that light at my local part store.

The bobber light spurred an idea: i could use one of my luminoks in the same manner. Remove from arrow, turn on and drop in. I may try that tonight on my rifle.

Thanks again.

Mike