Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Opinions on Trade offer - Older Lyman Trade rifle for Newer PA Pellet >

Opinions on Trade offer - Older Lyman Trade rifle for Newer PA Pellet

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Opinions on Trade offer - Older Lyman Trade rifle for Newer PA Pellet

Old 01-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Spike

Default Opinions on Trade offer - Older Lyman Trade rifle for Newer PA Pellet

New forum member here. Just been into the muzzleloader/flintlock scene for a couple of years now. Hooked!

Have a Pedersoli Cub 36 kit on the way, and currently own a PA Pellet Accelerator 50 by Traditions. Bought last year, 35 shots through it.

I've got a gentleman on another group I'm a part of who would like to trade his 16 year old Lyman Trade Rifle with about 100 rounds through it for my Pellet.

I know Lyman seems to have a better reputation on some forums than Traditions, but can someone give me their thoughts? My Pellet shoots fine, but am I missing something if I pass on the Lyman trade? I got my Pellet at a great price, new(sub $275) so would I be trading up if I went for the deal. I've only shot my gun, so no other rifles to compare to.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might offer.

Mike

Last edited by bigmikew; 01-02-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: to subscribe to thread and add info
Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's all a matter of condition and how and gun fits you.

I would say; "Lets go to the range together. You shoot mine and I'll shoot yours. Then we can both decide if we want to trade."
Old 01-03-2018, 04:23 AM
Spike

I agree on the method of trading and checking the condition of each gun. My question maybe should have been, condition being equal, how much better is the Lyman Trade Rifle than a PA Pellet?

Thanks for taking the time to give input.

Mike
Old 01-03-2018, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Both of the same condition I'd definitely take the Lyman over the Traditions. But that's my opinion.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Both of the same condition I'd definitely take the Lyman over the Traditions. But that's my opinion.
Agree wholeheartedly!
If both of them are telling the truth about shots fired, I would get that deal done pronto, before the Lyman owner changes his mind. But check that Lyman over very closely. Look for obvious rust, barrel flaws, even a cracked stock, broken trigger.....etc.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-03-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Also realize the Trade Rifle has no removable breechplug and cannot shoot pellets.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with bronko and Goex, providing that Lyman is a clean gun. They're better quality than Traditions and will hold their value. Are you swapping flint for flint? Lyman locks are much better quality than Traditions.

BPS
Old 01-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check it over well before making a decision.

They are both flintlocks, his is just older than mine, or so the story goes. Mine definitely has less than 40 rounds through it.

Any suggestions on looking through bore of his since the breech can't be removed?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here are two options. The Super Ray is available at O'Reilly Auto Parts stores for about ten bucks. The bobber light is available almost anywhere fishing tackle is sold, including Walmart, for about three bucks. Drop either one down the bore and you will be able to inspect it pretty well.

Last edited by Semisane; 01-07-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:58 AM
Spike

Thanks Semisane. I'll check for that light at my local part store.

The bobber light spurred an idea: i could use one of my luminoks in the same manner. Remove from arrow, turn on and drop in. I may try that tonight on my rifle.

Thanks again.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.