Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Has the bottom fallen out

Old 12-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Has the bottom fallen out

of the used muzzleloader market??

Whoa!

Perusing Gunbroker I am noticing bids for sidelocks & flintlocks are significantly lower than the last few years- many have no bids at all.

Is this old news or.??

edit: at least GB has a selection available- Gunsamerica has 2 dozen listings of replica rifles,period.

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 12-16-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't seen a sidelock user in the hunting woods for 3-4 years now. I've kept only one for wall display. The rest I sold 2-3 years ago.

Inlines are so much tougher - so much more dependable and there's no stop-sign when running a cleaning rod & patch down the bore.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

there's no stop-sign when running a cleaning rod & patch down the bore.
What does this mean? Just curious
Old 12-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest I find that my side locks are easier to clean and more accurate than my inlines. In hunting camp all I need is a tin can full of hot water to clean the Side locks. The inlines I need a little deeper can and the bolt needs cleaned and the action needs cleaned. Neither is hard but the side locks are easier in my opinion.
I am always looking for a rusty donor TC rifle for parts in case I have a problem with a rifle. TC parts rifles are still expensive. I used to get a fully loaded stock with all the goodies for 150. Now I am paying more like 250 for them if I can find them. A hawken with a Lyman peep and a lyman globe is for sale at a store I go to. That one is not in great shape and they are asking 600. used. If the price of them is going down I am not seeing it.
As far as guys using them in the field. Our hunting laws in Idaho require an exposed #11 cap or flint lock. Both of these rifles are Idaho legal but the side lock is more accurate. Both of these are my son's bucks.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Spike

if a sidelock around here goes up for sale they generally sit on classifieds until owner gets tired of renewing ad and gives up.. I personally like sidelocks and like hunting with them but still usually take the inline.
As long as you don't try to hunt in torrential downpours they are just as dependable as a inline and ignition w/a good setup is almost as fast.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

i go pawn shop hopping in Lawton and OK City once a month. Almost never see a conventional muzzleloader in a pawn shop. Pawnshop owners say the ones that are brought in are always in bad shape.

Seldom see an inline gun in a pawn shop either. Few years ago i saw a very dusty but otherwise pristine .54 caliber TC Fire Hawk in a pawn shop. Price was $175. Told the lady i would be back later with some more money. She said: "Do you have a $100 bill?" Yes, i did have one $100 bill.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
I haven't seen a sidelock user in the hunting woods for 3-4 years now. I've kept only one for wall display. The rest I sold 2-3 years ago.

Inlines are so much tougher - so much more dependable and there's no stop-sign when running a cleaning rod & patch down the bore.
Not trying to start a debate so don't let this head in that direction...

I currently own 24 ML firearms. Seventeen are sidelock rifles with the majority being percussion. Four are "inlines" if you will, but not the high tech versions being offered today, two are TC Firehawks and two are TC Scouts. I have one Remington 1858 Army percussion revolver, one percussion Kentucky pistol and one New Orleans Ace percussion "boot" pistol that I built from kits back when I was still full of pi$$ and vinegar.

Here in PA where we have a late ML season that is flint only, so there's a strong following of sidelock owners/users. I have a few friends who own and use scoped inlines because they hunt PA and NY both. The NY ML season is anything goes as long as it's loaded through the muzzle (sorry, mortars not included) so they opt for the inline when hunting that season.

With regard to inlines... it's like anything else, it's all in what floats your boat. I've killed a few deer with my "inlines" but I've always enjoyed the thrill more when I take one with a sidelock, especially one of my flinters!

As far as cleaning any of my sidelocks goes, I never saw it as a bothersome chore, more as a labor of love!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 12-17-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
What does this mean? Just curious
I believe the "stop sign" he refers to is when your cleaning rod bottoms out at the breech in a sidelock perc. or flint barrel.

BPS
Old 12-18-2017, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

So, beyond the inline/traditional debate, has anyone noticed declining values for sidelocks/flintlocks, lately?

I've not been shopping actively for the past 11 or 12 months.

T/Cs of all flavors were regularly selling around $400 a couple years ago; CVA Mt Rifles,USA made, were fetching $450+.

Thought to sell a couple I simply do not shoot to partially finance a Jim Kibler kit...maybe not.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

So, beyond the inline/traditional debate, has anyone noticed declining values for sidelocks/flintlocks, lately?

Except for online outfits like Gunbroker i never see any conventional muzzleloaders for sale. Prices for used conventional muzzleloaders may well be slipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.