Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

I agree, roundballs do work.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I agree, roundballs do work.

However this is factually a canned/high fence hunt. Michigan has very few hogs running loose and those that are, have escaped from these ranches. Actually the Michigan DNR would love to completely shut these places down and may do so yet.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

They have worked well for centuries. One just has to be aware of their limitations in range, and with some, their penetration. Once you start getting into the big boy .58's with a bit of hardness in the lead mix you can but the hammer down on just about anything walking this planet. I've put some pretty big hogs and black bear down quite easily with roundball but I switched to Maxi balls a few years back for better accuracy and a bit more range.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Lets pop a few caps off while in the blind you are hunting from and hope it doesn't scare anything off LOL! Since it's a high fenced/canned hunt it doesn't matter, where are they gonna go?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Always new the PRB was a killer. And our ancestors knew it too!!!
Old 01-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Yep.Leave the sabot garbage for the inline crowd.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sabot garbage flies further and more accurately than patched garbage.

I use both. Even having thoughts about about buying a new T/C Impact and converting the barrel to 1:66 twist. But I suspect I'll completely burn-up my patches using my Federal 209A primers.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Sabot garbage flies further and more accurately than patched garbage.

I use both. Even having thoughts about about buying a new T/C Impact and converting the barrel to 1:66 twist. But I suspect I'll completely burn-up my patches using my Federal 209A primers.
Don't know where you heard that...

Washington had 1 inch diameter rifles made to fire on ships, from all accounts, they were pretty effective...

Just have to match the ball to the purpose...
Old 01-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I would assume he heard it from the same place anyone with a little sense heard it. Anything streamlined will fly more accurately and retain more energy, given equal mass of both objects, than a round ball. Basic aerodynamics that most anyone that has a high school diploma should know.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, patched round balls work very well. Snuck up on the big sow and put a round ball in her ear.

Buck with a patched round ball:

Doe with a patched round ball:

Last edited by falcon; 01-28-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Falcon, is that a boat trailer crank on that rig? I'm asking because I'm going to build something similar to that rig for when I hunt elsewhere. May swing hinge it to load elk into the truck. I'm a big strong guy but many years of football is catching up to my short 51 years of life. Hauling an elk into the bed of my truck is getting a bit on the rough side. Shoot, slapping a little 160 pound doe up into the bed about made my back scream for mercy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.