Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Golf Ball dents on round balls

Old 06-25-2017, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Slowburn
Muley, wouldn't the rifling combined with the dimples cause the bullet to spin excessively and as the velocity drops the drag would increase and cause the round to act similar to spin drift with a smooth bullet? The golf ball will go straight for a while but starts curving as velocity drops. I think I'll just stick with what I know flies straight for me.
It's hard to say what would happen. Since it's so new to us. I know the sprue doesn't seem to affect flight of the ball. I guess the old lead ball is just going to fly straight no matter what we do with it.

Some guys pound the crap out of them when loading and still shoot a good target. Others are real delicate loading and can't shoot for beans.

Bottom line........learn to shoot and don't worry about the ball.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It's hard to say what would happen. Since it's so new to us. I know the sprue doesn't seem to affect flight of the ball. I guess the old lead ball is just going to fly straight no matter what we do with it.

Some guys pound the crap out of them when loading and still shoot a good target. Others are real delicate loading and can't shoot for beans.

Bottom line........learn to shoot and don't worry about the ball.
So true. I think some people try to substitute technology for woodsmanship and skill. Like one of my buddies next door. First morning of deer season he wait to get to his stand and in the dark he loaded it and exactly one hour later he was at my stand because he didn't put no powder in it cause he dumped it on the ground. I finally got the breech plug out and he had disformed the bullet so bad it was just a chunk of lead bore diameter. It shoots purdy good after he gets the rust blowed out. He runs around in the woods playing with all kind of gadgets. He scored 0 deer and 0 elk. I took 4 bucks and didn't elk hunt.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

I am curious as how to get the dimples in a round ball without a custom mold and even how uniform it would be?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kinda seems to me like a bunch of dimples would be a place for gas to get ahead of the ball while it is moving out of the barrel because causing loss of velocity.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you molded the ball that way it would be lighter.

Some sort of press would be better. A hand press should be enough with soft lead.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Oldtimr, the ball doesn't make the seal. The patch does.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

I personally try not to deform any Bullet whether round ball or conical and will continue with that til I die . If Someone wants to beat their balls flat I guess they can do that . Not me though .
Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know that, I only shoot patched round balls out of my flintlock. However when there is a void in the ball, ie. dimple, I don't think the patch will make as good a seal especially at the groves and allow gas to escape . I see the dimples the same way I see an out of round ball.