Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

New Hawken

Old 06-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Hawken

Since 1980 i've wanted an authentic Hawken. I've found a builder to build this TOW kit which seems true to the real Hawken. I still have to save up some money, but i'm hoping to have it ready to hunt next year. I'm going to get it with the .58 Colerain barrel. It should be a good elk gun.

Take a look.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...WKEN-LEFT-HAND
Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet looking rifle!! Makes me wonder how many original Hawken rifles where actually made with left side locks?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably none, but mine will be.

It's my only compromise.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Pete but I think you better start doing some weight lifting so you can hold it up! That 1" x 36" barrel is going to have some heft to it. Maybe you'll need to make yourself some shooting sticks.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I have to use sticks. So be it.

I'm hoping the .58 hole will lighten it up a little.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Not a whole lot but a little bit Muley Hunter. One of my flinters has a 1"x 36" OCT straight barrel and that thing is a beast. With your back being the way you mentioned I too would advise sticks. And if that thing is as heavy as mine, a young boy to carry the damn thing as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

The .58 caliber I had built has the 36 inch Colerain Barrel on it. Mine is an Early Virginia model in flintlock. But that rifle is a good shooter. That should be a very nice rifle when its finished. And you're right, that big .570 diameter ball is a beast down range.

Now with the .58 caliber Early Virginia, and the .54 Early Lancaster rifles, I have considered a .50 caliber Southern Rifle having it built. You will like that big .58 caliber. And living where you do and what you hunt, I can sure understand the need for it. And yes, you might need shooting sticks. I know I do, but its because I wore out my shoulders. Tore all the muscles too many times, and just abused them in my younger days. I am sure paying for it now.

Good luck with your rifle Pete. Its nice looking and can't wait to see it in the flesh!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
And if that thing is as heavy as mine, a young boy to carry the damn thing as well.
I think Muley would much prefer a young woman.
Anyway come to think of it my .58 GM barrel on my Renegade is 32" and I wouldn't think another 4" would add that much more weight.
My Pedersoli with its full length stock and 39" barrel isn't even too bad. Of course I'm only 64 years young. Spring chicken compared to some of you!!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had that Pedersoli with the 39" barrel you have Bronko. It was barrel heavy but I shot it ok and my back was bothering me more back then. I haven't broken my back in about 1 1/2 years and it's feeling better. I just need to keep from breaking it again and I should be fine.

This kills me too. I was always in great shape all my life and now old age is trying to beat me down. I won't let it. Here's me at 42 years old.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Banned

I cant believe its not butta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.